This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
InfluxDB/Kapacitor/Chronograf + Grafana
Hi All,

I'm now getting to grips with the various parts of the software but I cant quite get my head around these last three (InfluxDB/Kapacitor/Chronograf + Grafana) and what I need. I've used Grafana for monitoring at work and I understand this is reading data stored in an Influx DB.

Whats Kapacitor - It mentions streaming of data, is that a way to get live data rather than reading it from the DB?

Chronograf - from what I understand this is another Grafana?

I've got my DB setup, data is going from SK > DB > Grafana, so I've just stopped the services for Kap and Chrono - is this wise? My thinking is trying to save some resource.

Are the three all configured from port 8889?

I'm looking to get some realtime data and historical so using a mixture of KIP and Grafana.
Similar here, never used kapacitor, think you could leave the crono service running if you wanted, doesn't use much idle. Also, KIP can display web pages so you can have a panel in KIP showing a crono plot, probably grafana as well. I use both running on a separate laptop getting the data from the Pi.
Plotting data really is gold dust compared to just numbers, like opening door and turning on a light instead of peering through a keyhole Smile
Thanks for the response - Any views on moving the DB to an external memory stick? - Thinking that this could extend the life of the SD card?
(2021-01-06, 12:32 PM)Boatingbaileys Wrote: Thanks for the response - Any views on moving the DB to an external memory stick? - Thinking that this could extend the life of the SD card?

Probably a good idea, also I was recommended this > "Side note on influxdb: if using an SD card I recommend increasing the value for ” wal-fsync-delay”  in the influxdb.conf file.   I have mine set to 60s to reduce wear on the card " 
to reduce the number of writes to the card, seems to make no difference to looking at the data in chronograf though I set mine to 6s. 
config file is here on my install => /etc/influxdb/influxdb.conf

pi@raspberrypi:/etc/influxdb $ cat influxdb.conf | grep wal
  wal-dir = "/var/lib/influxdb/wal"
  wal-fsync-delay = "6s"
Hello, I send the acquired data (1w, I2c, seatalk) to node red, and from node red to Influxdb to graph them in Grafana. 

What I have not been able to do is a backup of the database, is there any file that can be copied? or can you make a backup? 

The representation of data using Grafana is really useful and visual.
Saludos
There's a node-red influxdb backup node, I just installed and used it, seems to work OK
Also, the signalk-influxdb app might be a more efficient way to write the data instead of going through node-red
Not sure on Dione's question, but I cant move the influx DB. I'm trying to put in on a memory stick. Followed a couple of guides on the net to change the default locations in the config file, I believe I've done a full copy of the three folders and changed the permissions but the service will crash on each start. Once I change it back in the config file it's fine.

My Linux is a bit rusty but I believe the USB is /media
My question is how to make a backup of the Influxdb database.

Saludos
by default your database is at location /var/lib/influxdb/data
so trust you just have to copy folder to soemwhere to have a backup.

Mind the permissions though!
Thanks SkipperEarly - tried a couple of times now, changed permissions per folder and even formatted the usb stick from the pi. Each time influx runs for 10-20 seconds and then quits. I also can’t find the logs to troubleshoot.

Think I’m going to go with plan B and by a second sd card.