This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Ultrasonic Anemometer
Thumbs Up 
(2021-01-30, 07:39 PM)GMeloche Wrote: Hi CAPNTBRY, the GPS puck is connected to USB on the laptop and OpenCPN detect it and run fine. On Android tablet  there is an internal GPS and also OpenCPN detect it and run fine. In my case I don't use SignalK Server neither OpenPlotter neither SigkSens and I don't have Pi. I stay away of Linux or Unix stuff. On Arduino's or ESP's modules I use Visuino which is a visual software that you just click on an input/output and Visuino will create in C++ an .ino file like IDE do, Bingo it work. BTW I just found another place in Alibaba a Ultrasonic module unit at $110.00 + $25.00 for shipping. On their specs I don't see MNEA-0183, so waiting for an answer from them since this morning.

Thanks GMeloche,

I think in the Raspberry Pi system, everything connects to SignalK Server. Then OpenCPN has ONE connection to the localhost - Correct me if this is wrong, ANYONE
I configured my system "wrong" and the GPS USB is Connected directly in OpenCPN, and works, but I don't think that data is available to any other device on the Server System.

Great work finding the least expensive Anemometers !
Hi CAPNTBRY, you where asking some questions about SignalK Server OpenPlotter SigkSens with PI and so on, as I want some info about Signalk I did found a link about a guy in Belgium, of course is in french, he made a series of videos about Pypilot of how to implemented it, it is so well done that after couple hours seing is videos you known inside out how to get done and working all together and you will learn more stuff as well, in the pass I did search trying to understand what is Signalk in english language and always end up to an hardware sellers site, I though I could download Signalk in Windows...getting nowhere. I am telling you this guy tell you how, he is amazing how he teach you what is involve. Here is a link to start to reach him. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHlQxXop2KU
(2021-02-19, 03:21 PM)GMeloche Wrote:   Hi CAPNTBRY, you where asking some questions about SignalK Server OpenPlotter SigkSens with PI and so on, as I want some info about Signalk I did found a link about a guy in Belgium, of course is in french, he made a series of videos about Pypilot of how to implemented it, it is so well done that after couple hours seing is videos you known inside out how to get done and working all together and you will learn more stuff as well, in the pass I did search trying to understand what is Signalk in english language and always end up to an hardware sellers site, I though I could download Signalk in Windows...getting nowhere. I am telling you this guy tell you how, he is amazing how he teach you what is involve. Here is a link to start to reach him. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHlQxXop2KU

GREAT ! and Thanks ! I'll look into it !
(2021-01-21, 03:43 AM)seandepagnier Wrote: My point is, the ultrasonic anemometer discussed for $139 is clearly designed intended to be mounted vertical.  It is not designed to take wind from an angle.  So if the boat is heeling, the wind will flow through the sense area at an angle which creates much turbulence and it is doubtful that the readings will be accurate.

Have we determined if the heeling results in a significant accuracy issue? I was reminded of this thread while reading this marine wind LIDAR article that said they didn't experience significant impacts from the ship roll/pitch/yaw:
Quote:2.3.1 Ship's motion correction
We also corrected for the influence of the angular velocity of roll pitch and yaw, but it was found to be negligible. For PS96 (PS85) the correction due to angular velocity was less than 0.2 m s−1 99.7 % (99.9 %) of the time and never greater than 0.5 m s−1.
https://amt.copernicus.org/articles/11/5781/2018/
thank you Smile