This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trouble getting BME680 data available in OpenCPN
Hi,
I have a BME680 sensor (pressure, temperature, humidity and gas) connected in I2C on a Pican-M hat.
I have the data available in Signal K thanks to the "Raspberry-Pi  BME680" pluggin.
I also managed to get the gas and air quality data available to influxdb and have everything available in Grafana.
I wanted to get the pressure and temperature in OpenCPN but I wasn't able to do so.
I set up the "Network, Input, Signal K, localhost, 3000, 1" connection but OpenCPN is telling me "Signal K server not found" when I try to dicover it.
The barometric pressure and air temperature data don't show anything.
The only way I had success with is to create a NMEA0183 connection and use the Signal K to NMEA0183 plugin.
Am I missing something obvious ?
Could you please help me diagnose the issue and fix it?
Best regards.
Romain
By the way, that sensor is awesome, I wish it could be supported in the I2C app.
what signal k keys are you using to store pressure and temp data?

BME680 is in the TODO list of the I2C app.
(2021-01-13, 12:26 PM)Sailoog Wrote: what signal k keys are you using to store pressure and temp data?

Hi,
Thank you for your answer.
They are available at environment.outside.pressure and environment.outside.temperature which I think is supposed to be standard, isn't it?
I actually did a lot of things to try to fix it (including reinstallations) and I finally managed to have it working with the Signal K connection but I don't really know what was the problem.
I also modified the signalk-raspberry-pi-bme680 plugin to be able to get the air quality index available in Signal K which is incredibly useful since it provides a way to detect gas leaks or carbon monoxide issues.

Let me know if I can help in anyway.
Best regards.
Romain

(2021-01-14, 06:01 AM)romton Wrote:
(2021-01-13, 12:26 PM)Sailoog Wrote: BME680 is in the TODO list of the I2C app.

Best regards.
Romain

I do not have any BME680 so I will ask for your help to test it. Thanks.
(2021-01-13, 12:26 PM)Sailoog Wrote: what signal k keys are you using to store pressure and temp data?

Hi,
They are available at environment.outside.pressure and environment.outside.temperature which I think is supposed to be standard, isn't it?
I actually did a lot of things to try to fix it (including reinstallations) and I finally managed to have it working with the Signal K connection but I don't really know what was the problem.
I also modified the signalk-raspberry-pi-bme680 plugin to be able to get the air quality index available in Signal K which is incredibly useful since it provides a way to detect gas leaks or carbon monoxide issues.

Best regards.
Romain

Hi Romain,

I have just implemented a BME680 to my RPI4. I am able to exploit temp/pressure/humidity values via the signalk-raspberry-pi-bme680 plugin but not the air quality index. 
Could you share your modifications in the plugin in order to exploit these values?
Thanks in advance for your help!

Regards,

Pierre
I would love to add my BME680 to OpenPlotter but I don't know how to do that. Can you give me some advice or point me to the plugin/how to install it?
Thanks a lot
(2021-04-03, 11:43 PM)Pierrot277 Wrote:

Hi,

Best regards.
Romain

Hi Romain,

I have just implemented a BME680 to my RPI4. I am able to exploit temp/pressure/humidity values via the signalk-raspberry-pi-bme680 plugin but not the air quality index. 
Could you share your modifications in the plugin in order to exploit these values?

Regards,

Pierre

Hi Pierre,

Sorry for the delay, I wasn't subscribed to the thread.

You can just use the signalk-raspberry-pi-bme680 plugin available from signal k and replace the index.js file by the one of my repository (the owner of the original plugin didn't integrate it yet):

https://github.com/romton843/signalk-ras...-pi-bme680

On your Raspberry Pi, the file to be replaced is located there:

/home/pi/.signalk/node_modules/@oehoe83/signalk-raspberry-pi-bme680

Let me know if you have any issues.
Best regards.

Romain
(2022-05-22, 10:49 PM)romton Wrote:
(2021-04-03, 11:43 PM)Pierrot277 Wrote:

Hi,

Best regards.
Romain

Hi Romain,

Regards,

Pierre

Hi Pierre,

Sorry for the delay, I wasn't subscribed to the thread.

You can just use the signalk-raspberry-pi-bme680 plugin available from signal k and replace the index.js file by the one of my repository (the owner of the original plugin didn't integrate it yet):

https://github.com/romton843/signalk-ras...-pi-bme680

On your Raspberry Pi, the file to be replaced is located there:

/home/pi/.signalk/node_modules/@oehoe83/signalk-raspberry-pi-bme680

Let me know if you have any issues.
Best regards.

Romain

Hi Romain,

I've just received a BME680 and used your index.js file. (it looks like the owner of the original plugin merged your changes last year but didn't create a new release).

It all works perfectly during the 500s warm-up phase, you can see the resistance is around 100000 ohms. But as soon as it starts calculating quality, the reported resistance drops to around 13000 ohms (and the air quality is reported as 450). 

Looking at your code, it seems to create a baseline value based on humidity and resistance, but this calculation doesn't seem to be working correctly for me. Is there anything I can tweak to create a more sensible baseline value?