This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ESP32 E-ink wifi display
Hi everyone, just wanted to share my Wi-Fi display code and plans. 

It displays the chosen information of signalk on a 4.2 inch E-ink display. Power consumption is low (0.35W) with refresh rate of 2s, could be improved. 

There is a waterproof button at the bottom to switch between display mode / information

It runs on 5v, but there is room for a transformer in the case

There might be some bugs in the code, still work in progress to add more signalK values (currently only ground speed and heading) 

https://github.com/Pataclop/esp32-eink

Attached Files Image(s)

Looks good Cool

Where did you get the e-ink display?
Ordered it on AliExpress (along with the rest of the electronics)
https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/32827160632.html
Thanks
looks promising, please send a video to see screen refresh when possible, thanks!
(2021-01-13, 12:29 PM)Sailoog Wrote: looks promising, please send a video to see screen refresh when possible, thanks!

Here is a video showing refresh time, display mode change, boot sequence and power consumption. 

https://youtu.be/_f7zujoYDNE
Nice  Big Grin
Pretty good
Very cool!  I've done a similar thing with a pi one and a smaller ESP display, but I think your solution looks more developed and almost certainly uses less power.

I've tried to side / backlight my display (it is a 'by our bed, confidence at anchor' display) and it changes what is displayed depending on what the nav state of the boat is in, either with SOG or distance from anchor.  I use the wind averaging plugin to provide average wind, and the anchor alarm functions to set state and then provide 'distance from anchor'.  Had it in mind to provide alternative states but not got to that yet with the code.

The pi and display are mounted in a perspex 'horseshoe' in this nice wooden case that Hazel made, with a small LED that I tried to position to get light properly on to the display - does not really work I think the angle is wrong.

I'm using HTTP requests to get data from the server which I don't think is great - but skills not up to handling a websocket I'm afraid.

Thanks for the info and sharing code - I may well try and do more.  I hope my terrible code provides some thoughts!  One thing that has changes since this photograph was taken is that it now converts the wind direction to a text / compass rose (eg NNW etc) as this is easier to take in when tired but I don't have a photo of that (also mounted on our new boat now).
Very cool!  I've done a similar thing with a pi one and a smaller ESP display, but I think your solution looks more developed and almost certainly uses less power.

I've tried to side / backlight my display (it is a 'by our bed, confidence at anchor' display) and it changes what is displayed depending on what the nav state of the boat is in, either with SOG or distance from anchor.  I use the wind averaging plugin to provide average wind, and the anchor alarm functions to set state and then provide 'distance from anchor'.  Had it in mind to provide alternative states but not got to that yet with the code. It has been updated on this photo and the display now provides polar wind direction (eg NNW, NE, etc) as this is easier to absorb quickly when sleepy in a tight anchorage!

The pi and display are mounted in a perspex 'horseshoe' in this nice wooden case that Hazel made, with a small LED that I tried to position to get light properly on to the display - does not really work I think the angle is wrong.

I'm using HTTP requests to get data from the server which I don't think is great - but skills not up to handling a websocket I'm afraid.

[attachment=1269]

Thanks for the info and sharing code - I may well try and do more.  Happy to post my terrible code (don't have it here) if useful.

Attached Files Image(s)