This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UPS cheapo solution
Hi all, total newbie here with what may well turn out to be a stupid query:

So I'm looking to find a way to give my pi a kind of ups system to enable safe shutdown on power loss and also to cover any momentary losses of power (switching batteries, starting engine etc). I've come across this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33011106...dBgRG&mp=1 little board on Aliexpress that takes 2 18650 batteries and claims to do what I need (I think). My main question is with regards to the GPIO connection. I think I'm right in saying that it looks like this would connect to the I2C pins (as well as 5v and ground of course). With I2C being a bus I am thinking this would mean it can communicate over that bus without stopping me adding sensor onto it in future? 

I know there have been a few questions about this in the past, sorry if I'm retreading old ground but I couldn't find a definitive answer. As for why I'm not using a pijuice, its almost the same price as the pi itself. surely there must be a cheaper solution, right?

Thanks in advance for all the help, and again, I'm a total newbie at pi's communication and any kind of programming so kid gloves and explaining as if to a total idiot is appreciated Smile
You are correct. I2C is a bus system, so the UPS would be just another address on the bus. Your only concern would be if the bus address conflicts with another I2C device.

I don't have it at my fingertips, but there are scripts out there that you can run on your RPI to determine the address of I2C device(s) connected, and usually, I2C devices allow for limited changing of the device address.
(2021-01-08, 02:36 PM)abarrow Wrote: You are correct. I2C is a bus system, so the UPS would be just another address on the bus. Your only concern would be if the bus address conflicts with another I2C device.

I don't have it at my fingertips, but there are scripts out there that you can run on your RPI to determine the address of I2C device(s) connected, and usually, I2C devices allow for limited changing of the device address.

sounds like its worth a punt then. I'll order one and report back with how I get on