This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GPS to VHF
(2021-05-07, 05:42 AM)mateo Wrote: You're all adding the opencpn connections for Input to opencpn correct?  If we want to just direct the gps signal to VHF (one way) , can that be done directly through SK without the opencpn connections?

That is correct. 

The serial connection to the VHF is most likely bi-directional, so the next thing would be to assign an Input event (called something like Vhfdsc) into the vhf connection (previously left blank) and then add another nmea0183-to-nmea0183 plugin event (vhfdsc) to insert the DSC and DSE sentences received in event into nmea0183out. This should allow OpenCPN to receive DSC and DSE sentences on the TCP port 10110 and plot them on the chart. That’s how I have mine set up, although I’ve never received any DSC alerts to know if it works. 

The only returning sentence you’d want from OpenCPN back to SK would be route info for autopilot control, and that gets a little more complicated.
Not sure if it'll be of help anymore, but a couple of weeks ago I had a similar issue (me being a noob as well): https://forum.openmarine.net/showthread.php?tid=3370
Just in case you can get any valid idea from the discussion.
(2021-05-04, 10:48 PM)Techstyle Wrote: I would go back now and reconstruct you OpenCPN connection:

Below is how I have mine connected

1 and 3 were correct:

Quote:1- Network - TCP
Localhost
Data Port 10110
Priority 1
Control Check Sum - selected
Receive Input on this port - selected
Output on this port - not selected

3- Network - UDP
Localhost
Data Port 10119
Comment - OpencpnOUT
Priority 1
Control Check Sum - selected
Receive Input on this port - not selected
Output on this port -  selected 
Input Filtering-  Accept only Sentences - selected
Out Filtering - Transmit Sentences -RMB,APB

Do not do 2.  I add XTE to the transmit sentence, but it is buried elsewhere
In SignalK
Quote:OpencpnOUT
NMEA0183
NMEA 0183 Source - UDP
Port 10119
Sentence Event N- nmea0183out
Validate Checksum - yes
Ignore Sentences RMB, APB

leave sentence event blank for now and don't ignore the only sentences being sent by OpenCPN!
Agree with this. Output connection is really only needed for external routing or an auto pilot. I include XTE in mi e also along with RMC.  If you’re just sending info to OpenCPN, this isn’t needed.