This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
lircd problems on tinypilot 0.24
Hi, I am having problems installing my IR remote control with Tinypilot version 0.24. Everything was going well with version 0.12 which I decided to update with the latest version following a compass stabilization problem. The compass heading is quite stable with this version, but I cannot get my remote to work correctly. It seems that this new version brings an update to lircd. The command 'sudo mode2 -d / dev / lirc0' had to be replaced by 'sudo mode2 --driver default --device / dev / lirc0' to work. the 'irw' command gives me an error like 'Cannot connect to socket / usr / local / var / run / lirc / lircd: No such file or directory'. I set up my remote with 'irrecord -d / dev / lirc0 test.conf', then adding the result to /etc/lircd.conf, I can't have a working remote.
An idea?

cordially
Are you using a custom remote?

irw should work. Perhaps you have killed lircd from programming it? The tinypilot 0.24 image certainly supports lircd remote reception.

You also may need to edit ~/.lircrc file depending on how you assigned the raw codes.

My new hardware supports IR decoding by either raspberry pi, or the onboard avr (basically arduino mini). So this is an option to not use lirc an and you don't need special programming with irrecord, only assign the code it receives from the web site. Not sure what tinypilot hardware you have.
Thank you Sean for your answer,
I am using a tv remote which I am trying to configure with irrecord. Everything goes well during the procedure, but after adding the contents of test.conf to the /etc/lircd.conf file, the remote control does not work (although the same procedure works with version 0.12).
I am running this version (10/27/2020) on a Chinese nano arduino.
I checked the ~ / .lircrc file and everything seems to be in place; When doing a 'sudo sv status licd', the response is' run: lircd: (pid 1862) 1149s, normally down; run: log: (pid 569) 1189s'
So much for the info, I'm still looking for the solution
Happy new year to you
cordially
it seems strange that it worked in 0.12

I did have to recompile everything for the new version though. I would figure out how to get irw working.
Hi,
it looks like the irw command is trying to connect to / usr / local / var / run / lirc / lircd. Going up the tree, I see that the 'lirc' folder is empty (does not contain lircd): could this be the reason why 'irw' does not work?
otherwise, 'sudo mode2 -d / dev / lirc0' doesn't work either, but you can work around it by doing 'sudo mode2 --driver default --device / dev / lirc0'.
In my research, it seems that a modification of lirc_options.conf (by changing 'driver = devinput' to 'driver = default' might fix the problem, but I am unable to modify this file in / usr / local / etc /lirc/lirc_options.conf (read-only !!)
An idea? Idea
Does it work if lirc_options.conf is available in /etc?
Then you could add /etc/lirc_options.conf to /mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce/mydata.tgz

According to https://www.linuxsecrets.com/tinycorelin...mmies.html that should be the default behaviour.

Otherwise you'll have to unpack the lirc.tcz package witth unsquasfs en repack with mksquashfs (and don't forget the md5sum). But that is rather a hassle.
I'm wondering if the lirc socket is actually in /tmp somewhere. Can you "find /tmp | grep lirc"

Sorry, I found lirc to be a big pain which is why I support using the arduino to decode now which requires no special programming
Hi,
I have been configure the ir remote. apparently the configure was succesful.
but when performing the "less test.conf", it says no such file or directory..

I got this:

Successfully written config file Ramon.lircd.conf
tc@box:~$ less test.conf
less: can't open 'test.conf': No such file or directory
tc@box:~$ cat test.conf /etc/lircd.conf > lircd.conf
cat: can't open 'test.conf': No such file or directory
tc@box:~$ ^C
tc@box:~$ sudo cp lircd.conf /etc/lircd.conf
tc@box:~$ sudo sv up lircd
tc@box:~$ sudo sv restart pypilot_lcdclient
fail: pypilot_lcdclient: unable to change to service directory: file does not exist
tc@box:~$ filetool.sh -b
Backing up files to /mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce/mydata.tgz-
Done.

I have checked anyway the remote in pypilot. But it didnt work.

Any thoughts???
it says "written config file Ramon.lircd.conf" so use that instead of test and use pypilot_hat instead of pypilot_lcdclient

The more recent hardware can use the onboard arduino to decode IR rather than lircd and no special calibration is needed, perhaps you should try this?
Hi,

I have followed your directions, and apparently I could configure the IR/remote connected to the raspberry.
But, checking in pypilot "lcd and remote control setup" I press the button on my remote, but I dont get any action. the key pad works fine.
I dont know what could be wrong.

Here is what I got configuring in tinycore (i think it is ok):

# This config file was automatically generated
# using lirc-0.10.0(devinput) on Sat Mar 14 11:52:29 2020
# Command line used: -d /dev/lirc0 test.conf
# Kernel version (uname -r): 4.9.22-piCore
#
# Remote name (as of config file): ramon
# Brand of remote device, the thing you hold in your hand:
# Remote device model nr:
# Remote device info url:
# Does remote device has a bundled capture device e. g., a
# Please take the time to finish this file as described in
# https://sourceforge.net/p/lirc-remotes/wiki/Checklist/
# and make it available to others by sending it to
# <lirc@bartelmus.de>
#
# This config file was automatically generated
# using lirc-0.10.0(devinput) on Sat Mar 14 11:52:29 2020
# Command line used: -d /dev/lirc0 test.conf
# Kernel version (uname -r): 4.9.22-piCore
#
# Remote name (as of config file): ramon
# Brand of remote device, the thing you hold in your hand:
# Remote device model nr:
# Remote device info url:
# Does remote device has a bundled capture device e. g., a
# usb dongle? :
# For bundled USB devices: usb vendor id, product id
# and device string (use dmesg or lsusb):
# Type of device controlled
# (TV, VCR, Audio, DVD, Satellite, Cable, HTPC, ...) :
# Device(s) controlled by this remote:

begin remote

name ramon
driver devinput
bits 56
eps 30
aeps 100

one 0 0
zero 0 0
pre_data_bits 8
pre_data 0x11
gap 497
toggle_bit_mask 0x0
frequency 38000

begin codes
KEY_LEFT 0x8100000100023E
KEY_RIGHT 0x8400000100023B
KEY_UP 0x9B000001000223
KEY_DOWN 0x67000001000254
KEY_POWER 0x99000001000227
KEY_SELECT 0x9B000001000209
KEY_MUTE 0x98000001000243
end codes

end remote
Log file:
tc@box:~$ cat ramon.lircd.conf /etc/lircd.conf > lircd.conf
tc@box:~$ sudo cp lircd.conf /etc/lircd.conf
tc@box:~$ sudo sv up lircd
tc@box:~$ sudo sv restart pypilot_hat
ok: run: pypilot_hat: (pid 4230) 0s, normally down
tc@box:~$ filetool.sh -b
Backing up files to /mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce/mydata.tgz\
Done.

I have tryed aswell connecting the IR to the arduino nano, to +3,3v/GND/ D3. Arduino to Raspberry by USB wire. But when connecting the IR data to the D3 in the arduino, I get the red LED "ON" all the time. Not just flashing when pressing a botton on the remote. IAm I doing anything wrong?? Should I connect the arduino to the raspberry by TX to RX and viceversa instead of usb port?

thanks