This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Motor controller
(2021-02-02, 02:44 PM)djdsails Wrote: @sean or@CapnKernel.... got the motor.ino uploaded to nano everything hooked up along with the bi directional leveler for tx and rx. voltages allong tx and rx are good 3.1v to pi and 5v to nano.
the pi is still saying no motor controller connected, any troubleshooting i can perform? ive checked voltages, ensured the arduino ide uploaded the motor.ino and the crc.h file successfully, did it twice. all connections look good....
Thank you!

At the risk of stating what should be obvious - tx and rx should be cross-connected. Tx is an output and rx is an input. This is contrary to the i2c bus, where simarly named signals are tied together. So: the tx of the pi goes to the rx of the arduino, and vice versa.
Yeah those wires are correctly plugged in, it was noted in previous post. Thank you though
(2021-02-03, 12:55 PM)djdsails Wrote: Yeah those wires are correctly plugged in, it was noted in previous post. Thank you though

Oh duh I can't even read Tongue ... On my arduino there are two lights representing tx and rx. They should blink both. If there's only one that blinks, there are a few options; if none blinks, there's no signal coming through. In that case (and I think you would have mentioned it if it did), if you put an led with a resistor (1k) on your raspberry's tx, you can trace where it goes wrong. To check the detailed logging from the pypilot, shut it down from the openplotter tool and run it at the command prompt (see attached). You should then see lines like servo probe ('/dev/ttyS0', 38400); that's where it prods the arduino. When it does, the led on the pi's tx should blink. If it does not, either the tx output port is broken, or the name of the device is wrong.

-

Attached Files
.txt   New Text Document.txt (Size: 1.91 KB / Downloads: 207)
(2021-02-03, 04:42 PM)ironman Wrote:
(2021-02-03, 12:55 PM)djdsails Wrote: Yeah those wires are correctly plugged in, it was noted in previous post. Thank you though

Oh duh I can't even read Tongue ... On my arduino there are two lights representing tx and rx. They should blink both. If there's only one that blinks, there are a few options; if none blinks, there's no signal coming through. In that case (and I think you would have mentioned it if it did), if you put an led with a resistor (1k) on your raspberry's tx, you can trace where it goes wrong. To check the detailed logging from the pypilot, shut it down from the openplotter tool and run it at the command prompt (see attached). You should then see lines like servo probe ('/dev/ttyS0', 38400); that's where it prods the arduino. When it does, the led on the pi's tx should blink. If it does not, either the tx output port is broken, or the name of the device is wrong.

-

ok yeah no lights are showing up on the nano adruino....
i am actually using the tinypilot through the web based page, so connecting through its wifi and loading the pypilot.io in my web browser. 
i though i did not have to use the pipilot through openplotter?
i will get the log later this evening -- but yeah it is like the pi zero pypilot is not sending any signals and thats where i need help with troubleshooting please
Tinypilot... I happen to have one here as well. Connect to it with an ssh client as user tc, default password pypilot. To shut it down, use sudo sv stop pypilot. In attached trace you will see the same serial probe which eventually leads to a serialprobe success, meaning he can talk to the arduino. Mind you that I have a fixed ip address; you might still have the default 192.168.14.1, I believe.

EDIT: if it is tinypilot there's less that could have been done wrong. The test for a signal on the nano's tx pin is crucial. Make sure you put a resistor in series with the led ok?

Attached Files
.txt   New Text Document2.txt (Size: 2.87 KB / Downloads: 237)
(2021-02-03, 05:55 PM)ironman Wrote: Tinypilot... I happen to have one here as well. Connect to it with an ssh client as user tc, default password pypilot. To shut it down, use sudo sv stop pypilot. In attached trace you will see the same serial probe which eventually leads to a serialprobe success, meaning he can talk to the arduino. Mind you that I have a fixed ip address; you might still have the default 192.168.14.1, I believe.

EDIT: if it is tinypilot there's less that could have been done wrong. The test for a signal on the nano's tx pin is crucial. Make sure you put a resistor in series with the led ok?

i am currently updating my pi 4 with the latest openmarine OS, ill try to remember how to connect it to the pi zero running pypilot - i dont have a use for the pi 4 so hoping to resolve this with the webbased io when connecting to the pi zero running pypilot

i also wrote a new image of pypilot to the pi zero using the pi image writer.
why is it that i put fresh and latest code on the zero/pypilot that it is still not communicating with the nano arduino?\
@ironman
i am going to try again to figure out how to connect the pi4 via wifi to the pi zero W pypilot, i tried running the commands and the first one was 10 times as long and the second one didnt work and didnt ask for a password
thanks
You don't need to use the pi4; just use any laptop to connect to the tinypilot. It should create a wifi access point called tinypilot. I'm not sure whether it had a wifi password (anybody knows?). Once you are on it, you can use ssh tc@192.168.14.1 (linux) or a putty.exe session to 192.168.14.1. Log in as tc with password pypilot.
alrighty ironman
did what you said found a guide on how to do SSH connections with puTTy.
please see attached txt doument. no lights flashed on the nano. i also do not have any LED or resistors so if it is necessary for testing than i will find some.
you mentioned that either the TX port is broken or the device name is wrong, how do i change that? will that make a difference and get this to work/talk?

Thank you!
I don't see the attachment ;-). While you are at it, can you also provide some details of the electronics you put in between pi and arduino. A diagram or a photo will both be clarifying and help people here assessing where the problem may be.