This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cannot reboot Pi - pypilot.service stuck
Hi Sean,

Very often I cannot reboot the Pi, and in the below-left corner of the screen "pypilot.service" stays in screen.
The Pi will not complete it's shutdown/reboot cycle, and I have to cut the power. This is a very hard situation when working headless and having to travel to the boat again.

Do you / does anyone else have this problem? Or any ideas how to troubleshoot this?

Kind regards,

Jamos
Yes I have had the same issue, I thought it was rebooting and starting only the pypilot.service but now that you explain it, this makes more sense.
I assume you use OpenPlotter?
(With a TinyPilot I just cut the power and "pypilot.service" sound like a systemd problem)

If the problem is in OpenPlotter you could try (from the commandline in a terminal):
Code:
sudo journalctl -u pypilot.service

This should provide more information on the issue for Sean to work with.
I'm weeks or months behind doing extensive pypilot openplotter testing... I got stuck on too many other problems, but the journalctl output would be helpful and I do intend to fix all the issues...
Thanks guys, my journalctl says this:

Code:
pi@openplotter:~ $ sudo journalctl -u pypilot.service
-- Logs begin at Tue 2021-01-26 13:27:44 CET, end at Tue 2021-01-26 14:00:04 C
-- No entries --
lines 1-2/2 (END)...skipping...
-- Logs begin at Tue 2021-01-26 13:27:44 CET, end at Tue 2021-01-26 14:00:04 CET. --
-- No entries --

Seems like the log is not reporting anything?
Also, when I stop the service through sudo systemctl stop pypilot.service the reboot process is still blocked by pypilot.service
Any ideas? It is happening on the newest image from openplotter (headless) and comes instantly after installing Pypilot.
So, no modifications on my side on the image.
Is it this one:
2020-12-16-OpenPlotter-v2-Moitessier-HAT-img.zip
? I have not had a chance to try, but I will soon.
It's this one:
2020-12-16-OpenPlotter-v2-Headless-img

If you don't have time I am happy to do troubleshooting, I just don't know where to start.
Could you give me some instructions?
(2021-01-25, 08:51 AM)hreuver Wrote: I assume you use OpenPlotter?
(With a TinyPilot I just cut the power and "pypilot.service" sound like a systemd problem)

If the problem is in OpenPlotter you could try (from the commandline in a terminal):
Code:
sudo journalctl -u pypilot.service

This should provide more information on the issue for Sean to work with.

Hi @hreuver,

Also thanks for giving a reply. I can stop the service using sudo systemctl stop pypilot.service, does this also mean it is a systemd problem or a systemctl problem?

Anyway, the service seems to be hanging.

I will try if stopping the service beforehand solves the reboot, of if I should reboot with :

Code:
sudo reboot -f

Do you have any ideas how I can check why the service is hanging? the log doesn't report anything it seems.
Thanks again!

Jamos
Your problem and situation are still not really clear, at least not to me. You are talking about having to travel to your boat when you cannot reboot, and about something in the corner of the screen. Can I assume that you have a computer with openplotter on your boat then, and you are using some remote access solution with a VNC viewer to connect to it? How are you trying to reboot it? Can you show a screen dump? When something is hanging, how are you certain it is the pypilot service? Can you see any processes in the process list that relate to pypilot (ps -ef|grep -i pypilot). When it is hanging, can you still ping the machine or start an ssh session to it? It might be that you shut it down instead of rebooting, but you are led astray by the VNC viewer that shows the echo the last screen image. Normally I reboot with sudo reboot, never needed the -f option.