This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kplex: diagnose serial in error
hi everyone, i expose the situation:
freshly installed a NOOBS (Raspbian 10 (Buster) =>check
sudo apt-get update&&upgrade  => check
wget https://github.com/openplotter/openplott...s/releases   => check
sudo dpkg -i openplotter-settings_2.6.2-stable_all.deb  => check
(run settings, install XyGrib, Network, Serial, PyPilot, I2C, Kplex) => check

PlugIN my GPS receiver, detected, added to Kplex, Diagnose (to see message NMEA0183) => all  ok

after setup SignalK, (and reboot) No more signal GPS on Kplex , 
i get the message => "An Exception of type OSError occurred. Arguments:  "
(when i run GPSMON, i can see all GPS info such as sentence, #sat, coordinates, etc)
see my pic,.. any idea to resolve ?

link to picture

you used the serial port 2 times: gpsd and kplex. this is not possible.
so disable kplex for this serial-usb.
the gpsd should input it to signalk. check it with signalk diagnose.
(2021-01-27, 07:27 PM)holgerw Wrote: you used the serial port 2 times: gpsd and kplex. this is not possible.
so disable kplex for this serial-usb.
the gpsd should input it to signalk. check it with signalk diagnose.

Hi holgerw, many thanks about this hint,..

after #sudo vim /etc/default/gpsd , and add a comment before all lines (to have a backup in case of trouble haha), reboot, and all work fine..

perhaps a good stuff (next upgrade) to disable the possibility of use "Add to GPSD" if the resource is already used by "serial IN".. 

remain a question: if i want to display the GPS info into signalK, should i add a line in Kplex like:
=> UDP 127.0.0.1 port 50000  ?
hello steph,

as you are using signalk like me, there is no really usefull function left for kplex....
... even in the 1 version of openplotter this kplex had given me an bagfull off errors. these days this prog
was the first to check. lost its settings, refused to work etc etc....

since that i use signalk for all intercommunication work. and it is stable, one it is configured right.

example gps:
alias the usb-serial to xxx_gps in op-serial and make only one connection to gpsd (under the hood this will also connect gpsd to signalk automatically via network)

thats all.

if you need to forward the gps-nema do it inside signalk (udp-forward plugin is one choice here, but usb-serial is another choice)
(2021-01-28, 11:04 AM)holgerw Wrote:  and make only one connection to gpsd

Curious, why bother with gpsd? What does it do? 

Add gps serial connection to signalk and it goes straight through to opencpn, as does all nmea. seems odd to add another program running when it isn't needed.
hello paddy

some other programs like piaware use the gpsd daemon als default, if it is running they use it.
gpsmon sits in the shell everytime....
... mostly it decapsulates the single serial input for the other programs.

but you are right, keep it simple most the time.

signalk: for me it has solutions for nearly everything.