This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Water pressure/depth sensor
Hi All, I know this is way off-topic but there are some really smart people here, and I hope someone can answer this.
I am wondering if a sensor like the BMP388 is capable of measuring pressure underwater, in a way that I could determine the depth it was at?
It would be in a sealed enclosure, and I understand the pressure would need to be converted to depth via testing and I understand it would be different in salt water and fresh water. But all that aside, would it work? If so how accurate might it be?
I do not know what is your purpose but I could give you an example: measuring the level of a liquid in a tank. A tube is placed in the tank, nearly touching the bottom. A small hand or electrical air pump is placed at the other side of the tube, together with a pressure sensor (BMXxxx). The pressure will be determined by the liquid height above the lower aperture of the tube when air is pumped in. . . .
(2021-01-24, 08:00 AM)Sailabout Wrote: I do not know what is your purpose but I could give you an example: measuring the level of a liquid in a tank. A tube is placed in the tank, nearly touching the bottom. A small hand or electrical air pump is placed at the other side of the tube, together with a pressure sensor (BMXxxx). The pressure will be determined by the liquid height above the lower aperture of the tube when air is pumped in. . . .

Okay what if the BMXxxx was in for example a small sealed container with air, or a ziplock bag without air. Would it be able to read the pressure increase as it descended in water? Is it "air" pressure that it reads or is it pressure?
why don't you use an oil pressure type sender? it is analogue but i think is more easy to work with it for underwater projects.

something like this: https://www.banggood.com/Pressure-Transd...rehouse=CN
- SV Haimana