This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can you help me choose a linear actuator?
Did you disassemble the actuator to find where it shorted?

Maybe the current limit was set too low? It seems odd for it to fail shorted, is the motor burned out?
Yes. I've taken the gears and motor off and even motor out of its case to inspect brushes etc. It is fully shorted (zero resistance on multimeter across the red and black motor wires) but I can't visually detect where or how. All segments of the commutator are closed circuit so I'm guessing somewhere the windings have lost their insulation?? They look fine on the outside, ie without unwinding them.
Its a mystery but I'm not going to lose sleep over it, the motor is probably replaceable for <$10 although finding exactly which one may prove the hard part. On some sites it asks for voltage (12v), diameter (36mm) and rpm (how the heck would I know??). I don't even know max current or watts.
Last night I upgraded my tinypilot to v0.45 but stayed with the same stable tinycomputer image from 16/11/21. Because I did it as an upgrade it has retained all of my settings which is mostly great but I wouldn't mind checking the parameters against defaults because I haven't deliberately changed any but I think I may have accidentally
yeah it sounds like the motor insulation has burned out or at least shorted somewhere.

Perhaps in the future try a different linear actuator.

I do not know the rpm either, I would suggest getting one with the lowest rpm you can find that fits.
Thanks. I've ordered the PCNautic so I'm hoping that does the trick once it arrives
Does anyone have a list or file with all of the default gain settings for pypilot please? I have received my new linear actuator (PCNautic) and I want to start using it with the default gain settings before adjusting any. I would like to avoid just doing a fresh pypilot install and getting default that way as I have already updated to v0.45 and configured wifi, remote etc.
(2024-02-09, 12:30 PM)angryemu Wrote: Does anyone have a list or file with all of the default gain settings for pypilot please? I have received my new linear actuator (PCNautic) and I want to start using it with the default gain settings before adjusting any. I would like to avoid just doing a fresh pypilot install and getting default that way as I have already updated to v0.45 and configured wifi, remote etc.

Our GUI difference but you can use our default settings see: https://pcnautic.gitbook.io/autopilot/be...e/profiles
Brilliant, thanks I'll give that a try.