This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TensorFlow, AI, Autopilot, VendeeGlobe
Big Grin 
(2024-02-04, 12:39 PM)Hillzzz Wrote: Hi Inq, wow! thats a a lot of thought for 2 cents! really interesting thoughts and opinions that will take me a while to digest. Thanks for that.

Big Grin  Well... maybe 10 cents worth. 

Even on a robotics forum I found there were many misconceptions about what AI is and can do.  Before really digging into it... I had many also.  Am I free of misconceptions now?  Probably not.  The field wasn't barely known out of the lab several years ago.  ChatGPTx and AI robotics were lab rats.  Now, it has exploded on the public.  What will it accomplish in another couple of years?  I certainly don't have a crystal ball. 

I felt it important to give a baseline of what AI is (or at least my current understanding of it).  I thought it important to write a baseline primer for those that still see AI as a magic, black box.  ChatGPT4 can easily walk us down that delusion.  It was meant to put a stake in the ground so we're all talking on the same page.  Those with more knowledge about AI would come back and say, "Inq, have you checked this out?"  I'm here to learn to add OpenMarine/PyPilot to my boat.  I will be an apt pupil for that.  

I think many here have the belief that AI is the magic bullet that will make PyPilot better.  As I tried to illustrate above, I think it can, in very tight, specific cases.  Otherwise, I don't think a general, all-boat, crowd based brain is possible and certainly not desirable.  Would you want your Outremer catamaran being influenced by data from Bubba's diesel tug-boat?  Do you trust everyone's helmsmen skills on this forum to be better than yours (or PyPilot's current abilities) and let their teachings influence your AI usage on your boat... say in storm seas?  

I'm not some old fuddy-duddy, set in my ways.  I test drove a Tesla and let FSD drive me around roads that freaked me out.  It is scary impressive good.  And one day, when my children feel compelled to take my driver's license away (cause I'm a senile old coot), I can say... no problem... Tessy, take me home!  Cool

(2024-02-04, 12:39 PM)Hillzzz Wrote: I have decided to do this project in stages. Starting with designing a waterproof box for the screen and electronics, then the object detection model then the AI software ad training. I recon its a couple of years work to get something you can trust 96% of the time but here goes....

cheers, H.

That's some impressive goals.  The AI object detection alone is a huge one.  And that I think would be best part that would be useful to everyone even if it doesn't tie in to the autopilot!  Just alerting you to that cargo container iceberg in your path while your dozing under autopilot!

Have you asked ChatGPT to write any code?  It might spit it out next week.  Wink

Messages In This Thread
RE: TensorFlow, AI, Autopilot, VendeeGlobe - by Inq - 2024-02-04, 03:32 PM