This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Fish Finder NMEA Depth data to SignalK
Fish Finder NMEA Depth data to SignalK

11Feb2020 I didn't see any posts about interfacing or "getting" the data from a Fish Finder into OpenPlotter, so here it is

Does anyone have Depth (not the whole graphic image) of any known Fish Finder running in OpenPlotter?

I'm guessing the system would still have the proprietary graphic display , AND additionally output a NMEA 0183 depth ( or other SignalK compatible format)

Any suggestions on hardware to get this software working? (specifically a bronze thru-hull transducer)

Seems one thru-hull transducer (Fish Finder) is better than two holes in the boat to add Depth

Thanks in Advance
I'm wanting to do roughly the same thing

I have an older Furuno FCV582L Sounder/fish finder that inputs/outputs NMEA 0183 and i want to use this data in OP/Pi.

I've been told a cheap and simple RS-422 USB dongle plugged in to the Pi will enable me to receive NMEA data and use it within OP/CPN

What are others views on this approach please?

Colin
I send depth data from my depth sounder to my op2 set up using one of these,

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/USB-2-0-To-R...SwudRfvkZ6

i am only receiving NMEA0183 data in open plotter so i dont need a bigger unit with transmit terminals. The only problem i have with these units id the A&B terminals are around the wrong way and ground goes to A and data to B.

I have also used one of these as well to transfer data via wifi to openplotter http://www.yakbitz.com/Yakker.aspx and can use the data on my tablet running Navionics sonar data and remap parts of the shallow parts of the bay where i use my boat....

Good luck
Only those who go too far can possibly tell you how far one can go

Our Blog: svmatilda.com
Hi,

My old fish finder did not have a NMEA output. Thus I bought one of these and connected it to my raspi using this adapter.

I am running Openplotter and getting the depth as a number. The depth (and water temperature) is then shown in my Dashboard as a number. There is even an option for a rough graphical presentation of the depth data. 

Works like a charm.

Jukka
I'm also interested in getting just data of the depth from my  Echopilot FLS silver sonar so then I can send it wia signal K-RPi to the tablet and see it on the upper helm.
Thus Silver version do not have NMEA output, so my idea is to extract data from 8 pin cable that comes from sonar head.
Thus I'm totally not electronic guy, that is the reason of maybe my stupid question Big Grin
So idea is just to extract several wires from that jack and wit some adapter sent them to the let's say USB.

(2021-03-25, 09:06 AM)dkaldare Wrote: I'm also interested in getting just data of the depth from my  Echopilot FLS silver sonar so then I can send it wia signal K-RPi to the tablet and see it on the upper helm.
Thus Silver version do not have NMEA output, so my idea is to extract data from 8 pin cable that comes from sonar head.
Thus I'm totally not electronic guy, that is the reason of maybe my stupid question Big Grin
So idea is just to extract several wires from that jack and wit some adapter sent them to the let's say USB.

Yea.. That's not going to work. There is no, simple, way to get a transducer to output a depth sentence. That requires a whole depth sounder!! Smile