This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Choose a wind sensor
I'm aware there are at least 2 threads in the forum that deal with this topic: Ultrasonic anemometer and Wind sensors and maybe, this question is out of topic in this forum, but i hope i can get some help.

I have a sailboat with almost no electronics: old Garmin chart plotter and VHF radio, nothing else. Now it has a Raspberry Pi4 with Moitessier HAT 2 and OpenPlotter on it, and a tablet as a screen.

I plan on adding a wind sensor, but i'm having a very hard time on choosing one, because of different factors:

1) Quality. I'm not, nor plan to be, a racer. So when i speak of quality, i don't mean that i need extreme accuracy or speed (of course, reasonable limits apply, since i will like eventually to run autopilot in windvane mode), but instead of the construction quality. I don't want to change it every year. Regarding this topic, i find models ranging from less than 200€ by Davis instruments, to more than 1.5k€ by Raymarine. And honestly, I don't understand the difference.

2) Ease of installation. Let's face it, i'm anything but skilled in this kind of tasks. And I know I would have to learn how to climb the mast, and how to install the wind sensor, so the less i have to learn, the better. In that aspect, options are wired vs wireless connection, and even solar+battery vs wire powered. I would like to find a solar wireless solution if possible, which would limit chances for errors.

3) OpenPlotter friendly. Even though this is the last point, it's obviously a must. Whatever solution i choose, i need it to be ultimately plug to OpenPlotter one way or another. I don't really mind if it already fires SignalK messages, if I need and external controller hardware, or anything in between (ie: NMEA0183 to USB adapter).

So the real question is: Can you help me figure out what wind sensor to buy based on those parameters (or others i might have overlooked).

You'll notice i didn't mention the price. Of course, the cheaper the better, but this is the first modification I do to my boat, and being definitely scared as you can see, I don't want to risk it by sparing a few €.
I have a Calypso ultrasonic wind sensor. The particular one I have isn't being produced by them anymore (Ultrasonic Wired BLE) but they do have a wired version of their sensor for around 400 euros. I like the sensor but with a 60ft mast the Bluetooth functions don't really work. If I had the choice again I'd get the fully wired version - the one they have now supports NMEA0183/2000 or TTL levels. As far as performance is concerned it works fine - they also include a 9 DOF sensor, which in my case I flitered out as the data was coming from elsewhere on the boat. Since they don't have anything internally that senses SOG, if you want true wind you'll have to use a SignalK plugin to calculate it from your GPS-generated SOG.

If you want to spend a little more money, go with the Airmar unit - it also includes a GPS module and doesn't require calibration because of that (at least that's what I understand). It also has humidity and temperature sensors.
On the cheap side is pypilot.org. They use a Davis instruments mechanical sensor for $100 and an Arduino based sensor for $40. The Davis is plenty rugged with 2 screws into the top of your mast for mounting. 4 wire connection back to the arduino box with a USB output of NMEA 0183. The Davis wind sensor comes with 50+ feet of weather proof wire.

Ultra sonics are more rugged, but the Davis Instruments device is intended for weather stations that may be in a hurricane. Rugged enough. The Ultrasonics have a heater so they can work in ice and snow. Not sure I'd be sailing then.

The wind info appears on any of the OpenPlotter or OpenCPN dashboards.
Someone might kill me for talking too much but...

A new HAT is coming to complement the Moitessier HAT. This new HAT is ready for wind sensors like the Davis instruments and it generates Signal K data.

Keep me the secret Big Grin
Thanks everyone for your coments.

@abarrow The calypso ultrasonic (wired) definitely sounds like a good option. I see no point on choosing the wireless one if i have to run the power wires through the mast anyway. And 399€ is on my budget. I will most certainly consider this option, but the frequency is a bit unclear to me, as the specs say "Sample rate: 1, 4, 8 Hz"
Quote: Since they don't have anything internally that senses SOG, if you want true wind you'll have to use a SignalK plugin to calculate it from your GPS-generated SOG.
I already coded that, but is great to know SignalK has a plugin for it.

@SailAlpha Actually this was originally my first choice, as i read a lot of @sandepagnier 's posts about his pypilot. However, when investigating about shipping costs to spain, it's almost 200€ + @sandepagnier's controller, which is also expensive to ship to spain (15€ over the basic 20€ version or the 50€ more complete ). As for resistance, good to know i shouldn't worry. 

@Sailoog Wait, whaaaat?  This could certainly drive my decision in one way or another. Mainly because it affects 2nd and 3rd points (ease of installation and OP "friendliness"). I guess you can't tell us more about it's feature or expected release date, can you?   Tongue
I have made my own 3d printed wind . The cost a fraction of davis, and never wear out because it uses hall sensor not a potentiometer, but need a different calibration than davis, otherwise the wires are the same
(2021-02-16, 12:21 AM)seandepagnier Wrote: I have made my own 3d printed wind .   The cost a fraction of davis, and never wear out because it uses hall sensor not a potentiometer, but need a different calibration than davis, otherwise the wires are the same

That's quite interesting too! Are you planning to sell it?
About the new HAT: I will be allowed to speak about features soon (hopefully 2 weeks) on a post on this forum. There you will be able to follow development and release data.

@seandepagnier: do you have more details about your 3d printed wind sensor? it would be great to make it work with this new HAT too.
Here we go...

https://forum.openmarine.net/showthread.php?tid=3284
Nice! I will wait for release date before making up my mind about the windsensor.

Also waiting por @sandepagnier updates Big Grin