This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Choose a wind sensor
(2021-02-16, 12:21 AM)seandepagnier Wrote: I have made my own 3d printed wind .   The cost a fraction of davis, and never wear out because it uses hall sensor not a potentiometer, but need a different calibration than davis, otherwise the wires are the same

Any word on when you're ready to sell this new wind sensor?   Also, If I have your weather sensor module, how hard is it to switch it over to run the new type of sensor? 

I just passed a milestone in my build last night and had pypilot move my inside helm for the first time, so one of the upcoming projects is to get a working wind sensor. As a long shot test, I had tried to wire in my old masthead anemometer, but alas it didn't seem to work putting out vastly inaccurate wind and direction info.
I had a LCJ Capteurs ultrasonic sensor on my last boat. I loved that thing. No moving parts for the birds to break off. It’s from France. https://lcjcapteurs.com/en/girouette-ane...ent/cv7-2/

It is expensive. But it does come in many different options for connectivity. My current boat has a typical Raymarine whirlybird, and it’s only a matter of time before that thing dies.

Sean is a very smart guy, so I’m also interested in his sensor.
(2021-04-23, 05:38 PM)SCarns Wrote: I had a LCJ Capteurs ultrasonic sensor on my last boat. I loved that thing. No moving parts for the birds to break off. It’s from France. https://lcjcapteurs.com/en/girouette-ane...ent/cv7-2/

It is expensive. But it does come in many different options for connectivity. My current boat has a typical Raymarine whirlybird, and it’s only a matter of time before that thing dies.

Sean is a very smart guy, so I’m also interested in his sensor.

I splashed out on a CV-7 recently and yes, love it! Uploading data to windy ? and gtafana does such a good job with the data. No more fibbing about beating into 60KTS ;Wink

[Image: jg3g7Z2.png]
Well so, some months after, I made my mind and purchased the Davis one, with @seandepagnier's controller.

...Just to realize that the base that comes with the wind sensor is actually made to be attach to a pole (vertically). I was planning to install on the mast top, where I still have some space between the light and VHF antenna, but that is not possible. I *think* I don't have space neither fore or aft of the mast (I'll climb it tomorrow to double check), so that leads me to question if the wind sensor can be installed port or starboard of the mast. However, I understand there's a ~5º dead angle on the front the sensor, so that would mean i won't have accurate readings when beam reaching? 

Any thoughts on the topic? I'm afraid my best Idea so far is to buy a quite strong L-shaped piece of metal that I can screw to the top of the mast and the wind sensor support.  Confused
Another vote for the LCJ CV-7 - I got the wired, NMEA 0183 version. Connected to OP via PICAN-M hat or USB to RS422/485 both work flawlessly. SK, Grafana all fully recognize the data.
(2021-07-16, 09:25 AM)MigGat Wrote: Well so, some months after, I made my mind and purchased the Davis one, with @seandepagnier's controller.

...Just to realize that the base that comes with the wind sensor is actually made to be attach to a pole (vertically). I was planning to install on the mast top, where I still have some space between the light and VHF antenna, but that is not possible. I *think* I don't have space neither fore or aft of the mast (I'll climb it tomorrow to double check), so that leads me to question if the wind sensor can be installed port or starboard of the mast. However, I understand there's a ~5º dead angle on the front the sensor, so that would mean i won't have accurate readings when beam reaching? 

Any thoughts on the topic? I'm afraid my best Idea so far is to buy a quite strong L-shaped piece of metal that I can screw to the top of the mast and the wind sensor support.  Confused

You can disassemble the davis sensor and rotate the potentiometer inside to adjust the deadband.

As for the CV7 sensor..  it looks interesting but the wind angle has a lot of noise compared to vane type.  At least there is no inertial.   The other question is where did you buy it?
Autonnic make good quality/reasonably priced sensors

https://www.autonnic.com/shop?Collection=Sensors

Steve
Just got my new LCJ Capteurs CV-7 for this boat to replace the old Raymarine, which got destroyed by cormorants. I hate those things.

So it was time for replacement. I'd been holding out for a repair/replace, but Raymarine is way backlogged and I would see a new anemometer until May. So I splurged and got a new CV-7 for this boat with the N2K windy plug from SVB24.com in Germany. Got it in 2 days! WTH? I can't get stuff shipped from LA in two days and it's only an hour from here!

A little gusty today, so not going up in the chair until later. Can't wait to have it reading our wind data!