This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I know I'm missing something
Hi all,
I'm new here and also relatively new to signalk and openplotter and I'm trying to get a setup working. I think I am close but I am missing a puzzle piece.

Setup- Rasp Pi 4, LSM9DS1 accell & magnetometer, Pypilot autopilot motor driver.

Problem- Not receiving Mag course and rudder angle in OpenCPN.

Work so far-:

Motor driver and rudder angle work correctly and I can run the standalone Pypilot app and get all data (LSM9DS1 is supported through Pypilot, not OpenPilot I2C)

Pypilot is connected to SignalK as TCP, localhost, 20220.

SignalK data browser giving good data for navigation.headingMagnetic and steeringRudderAngle

SignalK server log filtered for signalk-server:events:nmea0183 is giving a stream of RSA, XDR,HDM sentences as expected

Life looks good.

Now I go into OpenOCN and in connections I add network connection: signalK, localhost, 3000  and enable it.

But no data coming in. I bring up dashboard- no position. brought up NMEA debug window- no data. Did check system- no warnings

I know it is probably something simple but I could use some help.

All software should be up to date OpenCPN-5.2.4, OpenPlotter- 2.6.2, pypilot 2.1.1

Thanks,
Brad
In order for opencpn to receive the data I believe you need to enable at least data only in pypilot, and also enable the UART in the serial app.

But I think you really should post this in the pypilot forum as Sean does not always see posts here.
(2021-02-15, 02:23 PM)rastam4n Wrote: In order for opencpn to receive the data I believe you need to enable at least data only in pypilot, and also enable the UART in the serial app.

But I think you really should post this in the pypilot forum as Sean does not always see posts here.

Thanks,
Yes, the pypilot app is up and running fine. I have been conversing with Sean as well. I was wondering if anyone else had experience as Sean hadn't seen the problem with OpenPilot-RaspPi 4 combo. I am finding the RP4 is way different than RP3. I did make some progress though. It seems there is some conflict between serial UART ttyAMA0 which Pypilot uses and ACM0 which my USB-serial GPS tries to connect to. If I remove all connections to the USB GPS then data is flowing to OpenCPN fine and I can use the dashboard. Pypilot plugin in OpenCPN still doesn't connect but I can live without that if I have too.
(2021-02-15, 09:30 PM)ragbagger Wrote:
(2021-02-15, 02:23 PM)rastam4n Wrote: In order for opencpn to receive the data I believe you need to enable at least data only in pypilot, and also enable the UART in the serial app.

Thanks,
Yes, the pypilot app is up and running fine. I have been conversing with Sean as well. I was wondering if anyone else had experience as Sean hadn't seen the problem with OpenPilot-RaspPi 4 combo. I am finding the RP4 is way different than RP3. I did make some progress though. It seems there is some conflict between serial UART ttyAMA0 which Pypilot uses and ACM0 which my USB-serial GPS tries to connect to. If I remove all connections to the USB GPS then data is flowing to OpenCPN fine and I can use the dashboard. Pypilot plugin in OpenCPN still doesn't connect but I can live without that if I have too.

Are you using one of the preconfigured .img or noobs openplotter files? 

If so, I would go back to the openplotter starting .img and install that on an SD card and build it up from there. I had the same issues but opposite, pypilot connected fine but GPS would not connect. Once I rebuilt the software using the starting .img it everything worked fine. Might be worth try?
the pypilot-openplotter repository contains the pypilot plugin for openplotter. This plugin needs more sanity checking, useful warning messages and actual changes to make it fix certain cases, I haven't gotten to it but intend to in the next week or two. It's difficult because openplotter is a moving target each version which breaks it.