This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
pypilot boot hang-up
Hi,

PyPilot hangs during bootup. The sd card has the recent version of PyPilot (2020_10_27). 

I have tried the previous version and although the boot screen is slightly different it also hangs on the same issues. 

Not to concerned about the ' insmod ' error as I dont intend using RF . I think it cannot insert the kernel module but thats the limit of my knowledge there. 

I have searched for 'fc-cache' in the forum but got no results. Hence this post. 

The file referenced ' libharfbuzz.so.0 ' would seem to be needed as part of the boot up process. 

I did try using a different sd card but got the same result as in the photo of the screen. 

Advice please.

Attached Files Image(s)

I would not be sure it's pypilot that hangs. I can't replicate this at the moment for you, but what you see here is the /opt/bootlocal.sh at work, doing typical tinycore boot stuff: the output of tce-load statements in the background. There's a good read at http://tinycorelinux.net/corebook.pdf; read this in half an hour and then read /opt/bootlocal.sh, then you are in the know. I've seen some errors on this screen in the past and apparently they can be ignored.

Chances are that pypilot was already running when you took this shot. To check pypilot, view your processes with ps -ef | grep pypilot, check your services with sudo sv status pypilot (google 'man sv linux' to learn about sv), then check your log files with cat /var/log/pypilot*/current. If you do this from within an ssh session, you can copy the output to here without resorting to photographs ;-). The outcome of /tmp/bootlocal.log might also be intersting. Attached all this output from a working tinypilot.

Attached Files
.txt   tinypilot_diagnostics.txt (Size: 5.29 KB / Downloads: 187)
if you hit enter a few times, or type shell commands does it work?

Your output is normal and a unfortunately the warnings displayed confuse a lot of people.
Thanks ironman for the link to Tinycore.

Thanks Sean. It worked. I spent a few days scratching around the internet but it never occurred to me to just hit the return key. Simple solution but if you dont know then you dont know. At least now if someone searches the forum they should be able to find these postings and progress quickly.
Maybe I need to make it somehow hit enter for you... any idea how to do that in the bootlocal script? It could print "hit enter to see shell"
Perhaps use an echo statement. Something like

echo "Welcome to Tinypilot - hit 'enter' for shell and to continue "

Once they have a shell they can get to the README and then progress
I see a couple of bears on the road you are trying to walk, Sean.

First, the tty1 is a console as defined in /etc/inittab:
tty1::respawn:/sbin/getty -nl /sbin/autologin 38400 tty1

The screen gets clogged by error messages, but to send the messages somewhere alse you'll have to define console=tty3 (for example).
It might be easier to leave tty1 the console and redirect the login to tty2 (with Alt-F2 or Ctrl-Alt-F2). In the inittab this reads like:
tty2::respawn:/sbin/getty -nl /sbin/autologin 38400 tty2
(and just comment out the tty1 line)

Or perhapd this works:
tty2:askfirst::/sbin/getty -nl /sbin/autologin 38400 tty2

I sometimes switch to tty2 or tty3 to work on the text screens the without error messages redirected to the console.

The "console=tty3" hsould be a commandline or boot-config option. Whatever is easier for you, but I think editting /etc/inittab and use tty2 is the easiest solution. Most people won't use a console with tinypilot anyway. Just add some echo commands at the end of startupscript pointing people the Alt-F2. If they attach the monitor later they won't see any message (since all the messages clog the screen), therefore you need not care about that.
Photo 
Hi from Spain, 

I am new here in the forum, and begginer in the raspberry world and pypilot. 

I have been trying to boot tinypilot, but I have the same problem than Linton. But in my case, After hitting enter several times just get "tc@box: $" . it doesnt boot..
,I have tried different sd cards (all of them class 10) 4gb, 8gb, 32 gb.... , and aswell the two tinypilot image versions in the download section. 

any clue???

Regards[img]file:///C:/Users/alfon/OneDrive/Escritorio/tinyproblem.jpg[/img]

ps: I dont know how to insert a screen shoot or photo from my pc.
I think it is booted if you get to the shell.
If I may elaborate on Sean's answer: you think it's not ok but it already is. The actual boot actions, including the startup of pypilot, take place in the background, and are mostly invisible to the eye. You only see the results of those boot actions if you look at specific log files and service statuses. Your next step should be to check whether there now is an wifi acess point called 'pypilot' and connect your pc/mobile device to it; then browse to http://192.168.14.1 to see the browser interface of pypilot.

For further details you might check out https://github.com/pypilotWorkbook/workb...r-the-hood