This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
7" REMOTE WATERPROOF DISPLAY
It is a remote terminal to have all the information of the OpenPlotter system that is installed in the cabin of the sailboat

The display is from SHINHO Electronic Technology (China), 7 "resistive touchscreen, 1.000 nits, 12 V supply, and waterproof (194 USD at origin; I bought it directly). HDMI input. Brightness control. (Important, because during night is necessary to reduce at minimum). http://www.sihovision.com/

http://www.embeddedtouchpanelpc.com/chin...88221.html

I use an RPI 3A to connect to the RPI4B openplotter network, which centralizes all NMEA183 instrumentation (GPS, AIS, Wind, Speed, Log, depth, battery monitor, barometer, and  IMU compass). Low consumption and enough for this purpose

Load only a simple Raspbian + Chromium + VNC in this Rpi, and set Chromium to start directly in KIP pages

Pi is feed by a 12 to 5v converter from car smartphone charger. (2,5 A)

Use an small Bluetooth keyboard + trackpad for local configuration when needed.

You can run all the information screens of the KIP plugin, and also connect by VNC and have OPENCPN on this screen; including AIS. Final design is a start screen with only two big icons (KIP and OPENCPN)

Actually there is a waterproof pushbutton (+ bi-stable relay) for on / off. But I will modify to start and shutdown Rpi via GPIO. (much more secure for the Micro SD)

Attached Files Image(s)

what was the cost of the screen?
That's Awesome - thanks for Sharing!

with regard to Power, I found that I didn't trust other boat users to not turn the power off at the switches accidently so I added some simple electronics to my Pi to make the schematic below:

with this the switched power is connected to the breaker panel and the const 12V is connected to battery, if the switched voltage goes off it is sensed at pin 40 and a power down is started, once the Pi shuts down, the relay is turned off, disconnecting the constant 12V.  the hardware costs less than $10 and looks like the below: 

By connecting a momentary switch between pin 40 and ground, you can also start the shutdown process when pressed
(2021-02-24, 10:41 PM)rastam4n Wrote: what was the cost of the screen?
194 USD plus freight (51 USD to Spain). I paid via PAYPAL

(2021-02-25, 01:24 AM)Techstyle Wrote: That's Awesome - thanks for Sharing!

with regard to Power, I found that I didn't trust other boat users to not turn the power off at the switches accidently so I added some simple electronics to my Pi to make the schematic below:

with this the switched power is connected to the breaker panel and the const 12V is connected to battery, if the switched voltage goes off it is sensed at pin 40 and a power down is started, once the Pi shuts down, the relay is turned off, disconnecting the constant 12V.  the hardware costs less than $10 and looks like the below: 

By connecting a momentary switch between pin 40 and ground, you can also start the shutdown process when pressed
A foolproof solution!
Thanks for the idea

Attached Files Image(s)

nice thread, thanks!
        A complementtary data screen for regatta tactics, can be obtained free for the NKE web. (née display) for your smartphone

Connect smartphone with "open plotter" wifi network from your OP RPi
Set to 10.10.10.1. and port 10110

and all your navigation data will be on the NKE display (8 different screens of data)

Of course, with the web explorer in the phone (or tablet) can also access to KIP pages in the same way as in the waterproof display.

Simply connect with http://10.10.10.1:3000/@mxtommy/kip/#/1 (1 or the nº of the page you want to show first)
Put this URL in favorite markers as KIP

That's easy, fast, and ZERO cost
Do you think it is waterproof enough? With all boards exposed (even though they are inside of enclosure).
Might be better to put smaller boards into potting epoxy, cover pigtails connections with heat shrink tubing.
Larger boards into waterproof enclosures with cable glands for wires coming out?
There possible condensate water in such cockpit enclosures.

Thanks
Download BBN Marine OS for raspberry pi 

https://bareboat-necessities.github.io/m...at-os.html

Video of actual installation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zMjUs2X3qU

(2021-03-02, 08:59 PM)mgrouch Wrote: Do you think it is waterproof enough? With all boards exposed (even though they are inside of enclosure).
Might be better to put smaller boards into potting epoxy, cover pigtails connections with heat shrink tubing.
Larger boards into waterproof enclosures with cable glands for wires coming out?
There possible condensate water in such cockpit enclosures.

Thanks

This arrangement has been operating in the boat cockpit during eight months and is completely water tight. No water condensation is seen when inspected the inside of the box

Of course, there is no water vapor barrier, thus; can be potentially affected by the excess of humidity at long term. (But no very different of conditions for the RPI running OP in the boat's cabin during winter)

As the relay board will be eliminated, and the supply adapter is totally enclosed, I will study a small resin box tho accommodate the RPI inside with connections through tight seals. (good projects never are really finished!)

The display looks to be good enough for outdoor work (Sihovision sell those displays for marine equipment) and bezel material seems good enough for salted water sprays. (But, must wait two or three years to be sure...)
Thanks for your suggestion
(2021-02-25, 08:18 AM)SARASTRO Wrote:

A foolproof solution!
Thanks for the idea

Daylight viewing is OK ?
(2021-03-05, 12:58 PM)affinite Wrote:
(2021-02-25, 08:18 AM)SARASTRO Wrote:

A foolproof solution!
Thanks for the idea

Daylight viewing is OK ?
Good enough, even at 45% from vertical and under high sun. (better if installed vertically)
But it has a certain "mirror" effect. I placed this question to Shiovision, and I was told that the capacitive touchscreen is better in this aspect. (mine is restive touchscreen)