This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Waveshare RS485-CAN-HAT (MCP2515)
(2021-04-14, 08:17 PM)Techstyle Wrote:
(2021-04-14, 07:45 PM)Guttagrynna Wrote: Thanks for your posts. I got one of these the other day and now I just got it to work after changing oscillator frequency to 12000000. For some reason I had it set to 8000000. I have a small test network at home with a B&G Triton2 display where i can now see a compass heading.

And as you say, it's good value. I bought a PiCAN-M HATat around 100 Euros but it doesn't play well with my PiJuice HAT in some respects, so I believe I will stick to this solution and maybe sell the PiCAN-M.

Great News - Glad it helped you!

after my experience, I did go ahead and write the manual page for it:

https://openplotter.readthedocs.io/en/la...n_app.html

Could you check through this page and any additions you think are necessary could be added (either you add or let me know and I can add)

A section on the PiCAN-M HAT would be good if you could write one?

(2021-04-14, 08:04 PM)SCarns Wrote: That's great! I was about to suggest you look in the MFD and see if it sees anything on the STNG backbone. But, glad you figured it out.

Not familiar with the Waveshare RS485-CAN-HAT. I run the Rusoku TouCAN Marine USB adapter, which I thought was a good deal at $70 US. Got it to use the TouCAN plugin in OpenCPN, but have grown up to a full-blown SignalK setup since then, so I used the TouCAN adapter as the interface. Works fine, but I like the price of the Waveshare and have found their stuff to be quality. I have their USB hat for Pi4 and an RS-485 USB adapter for a solar project I was working on.

Good post! Thanks for sharing!

Steve

Thanks Steve!

If you look at the CAN page of the documents - you will see it there is nothing in the CAN_USB section, it would be great if you updated that section with your experience:

https://openplotter.readthedocs.io/en/la...n_app.html

thanks
Jason

Jason, 

The TouCAN Marine USB adapter installs with it's own set of drivers, so it by-passes the CAN Bus set up. I'm happy to document it, but it doesn't seem as if it would go in that section...

Steve
Does anyone have any experience with the Waveshare two-channel CAN Hat? I had it working, now I can't seem to get anything out of it.

Question: If the termination isn't correct, will I see anything coming out of the interface with candump or the OpenPlotter CAN app? The only device I have on my 2000 bus now is my AIS transceiver, which is powered independently doesn't need power from the bus. Still, I was thinking I would still see the output of the Signalk->NMEA2000 plugin, even if the bus is completely disconnected from the CAN Hat.
(2022-01-26, 12:20 AM)ChDel Wrote: I have installed OpenPlotter on my Rpi 4B +  RS485 CAN HAT connected to NMEA2000 backbone with blue and white wires
can0 appear in Signal K Dashboad but seem inactive
nothing in the data browser while my B&G shows depth, wind...
I have followed installation procedures Openplotter § CAN and RS485 CAN HAT user manuals
still nothing
An idea to go ahead in my project ?
Thanks
  • you say you have wind and depth - is that coming from the Pi or somewhere else?
  • Is the Blue wire connected to CAN-L and White to CAN-H?
  • is the backbone powered?
  • is the backbone terminated properly?
  • have you set the correct oscillator frequency?
  • Have you set the correct Interrupt (GPIO pin)? 
(2022-01-26, 12:20 AM)ChDel Wrote: I have installed OpenPlotter on my Rpi 4B +  RS485 CAN HAT connected to NMEA2000 backbone with blue and white wires
I have followed installation procedures Openplotter § CAN and RS485 CAN HAT user manuals
still nothing
Thanks

Did you remove the internal 120 Ohm SMD-Resistor on the WAVESHARE Can Board?
You can measure between H & L, or direct on the Bus for 60 Ohms, but the last only with all Devices off.

CAN does not like false Terminations.

Good Luck,
Holger
(2022-01-26, 12:36 AM)Techstyle Wrote:
still nothing
Thanks
  • you say you have wind and depth - is that coming from the Pi or somewhere else?
  • Is the Blue wire connected to CAN-L and White to CAN-H?
  • is the backbone powered?
  • is the backbone terminated properly?
  • have you set the correct oscillator frequency?
  • Have you set the correct Interrupt (GPIO pin)? 

The second point put me on the track: the error was due to the wrong color in the NMEA 2000 connector. The white and blue wires were in the wrong place in the connector.
It Works perfectly now !
Thanks a lot

(2022-01-26, 08:21 AM)holgerw Wrote:
still nothing
Thanks

Did you remove the internal 120 Ohm SMD-Resistor on the WAVESHARE Can Board?
You can measure between H & L, or direct on the Bus for 60 Ohms, but the last only with all Devices off.

CAN does not like false Terminations.

Good Luck,
Holger

I solved my problem as explain below: problem of wire color in the NMEA2000 connector. It works well now but I didn't remove the SMD resistor. Is it necessary if it works like that, because I don't know how to do...
Thanks

Thanks to your advice I solved part of my problem: I can read the NMEA2000 data from my backbone and in particular the wind direction in order to control my ST2000 Autopilot.
The question now is, should I add a USB-RS422 converter in the USB Rpi port with two wires to connect the autopilot,
or can I use the rs485 input/output connector of the RS485 CAN-HAT?
I couldn't find anything for this in the OpenPlotter procedure. No way to add rs485 connection in CAN-Bus window
The RS485 connector of the HAT does not seem to be controlled by Openplotter
Thanks
Christophe
hello chdel - about the A+B connectors on the Waveshare CAN Hats:

i am not shure, did not test it much. They are interfaced to the normal Read/Write Lines of the Raspi.
To read them try "cat /dev/ttyAMA0" - but it is possible this port will interfere with the Bluetooth, but try
it out yourself. You have to enable it at first with the UART Button in openplotter-serial.

Often the lines will read the correct NMEA sentences if the Baudrate is correct, but sometimes you have to exchange + or - coming from some old devices...
As they are connected with drivers to the outside, the rpi pins should be safe from voltages higher than it´s 3.3 V.

But it will be easier to just use USB serial converters if there are free Ports.

keep healthy - Holger
(2022-02-01, 01:31 AM)holgerw Wrote: hello chdel - about the A+B connectors on the Waveshare CAN Hats:

i am not shure, did not test it much. They are interfaced to the normal Read/Write Lines of the Raspi.
To read them try "cat /dev/ttyAMA0" - but it is possible this port will interfere with the Bluetooth, but try
it out yourself. You have to enable it at first with the UART Button in openplotter-serial.

Often the lines will read the correct NMEA sentences if the Baudrate is correct, but sometimes you have to exchange + or - coming from some old devices...
As they are connected with drivers to the outside, the rpi pins should be safe from voltages higher than it´s 3.3 V.

But it will be easier to just use USB serial converters if there are free Ports.

keep healthy - Holger
I turned on the UART, tried swapping + and -, tested different config in opencpn but still no activity on opencpnOUT nor rs485
I should receive the USB rs485 soon and will give news. thank you, Christophe