This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tinypilot Hat
I purchased a Tinypilot Hat last year and I have finally gotten round to installing it.  I cannot tell which pin is pin 1 to connect it to my Rasberry Pi GPIO connector.  I connected it the way I figured it should go but only the back light comes on without anything being displayed.  It also isn't being recognized by Pypilot in Openplotter.  Before I bought it, I had already installed an IMU via I2C and it is recognized by Pypilot, so I know something is working in Pypilot. 

Could someone please help?

Thanks
if you type "i2cdetect -y 1" what do you see?

If the backlight works it's likely you connected it correctly.
(2021-03-08, 05:26 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: if you type "i2cdetect -y 1" what do you see?

The results follow, however, they are the same whether the hat is installed or not.  As I mentioned above, I already had an IMU wired into the dAISy board.  

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ i2cdetect -y 1
     0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  a  b  c  d  e  f
00:          -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
10: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
20: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
30: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
40: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
50: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
60: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 68 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
70: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --  

What is really needed is documentation that explains how to hook everything up.  I find Openploter to be very fragmented and unfriendly to the user.  If it is to ever get beyond the programmer level, it will need to be simplified.  For instance, I thought Pypilot was a plugin for OpenCPN.  But there is a standalone and openplotter versions too, I guess.  I don't really know what I am working with.  How do these pieces fit together?  What is the slave and what is the master?
pypilot has a plugin for opencpn which is used for controlling pypilot.

pypilot also has a plugin for openplotter which is supposed to help it configure and set up pypilot. It currently has a few pitfalls. One thing it should support for example is a checkbox to enable the pypilot hat's lcd.

So the hat is fine most likely. To get a display it needs the "pypilot_hat" service running which like the pypilot opencpn plugin is not the core of pypilot, it is a control interface. The various control interfaces can run locally or remotely and are used to control/configure pypilot as well as display information and feedback.

You can see which services of pypilot are running a few ways one is "ps aux | grep python"
(2021-03-08, 06:37 PM)SVHM Wrote:
(2021-03-08, 05:26 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: if you type "i2cdetect -y 1" what do you see?

The results follow, however, they are the same whether the hat is installed or not.  As I mentioned above, I already had an IMU wired into the dAISy board.  

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ i2cdetect -y 1
     0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  a  b  c  d  e  f
00:          -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
10: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
20: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
30: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
40: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
50: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
60: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 68 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
70: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --  

What is really needed is documentation that explains how to hook everything up.  I find Openploter to be very fragmented and unfriendly to the user.  If it is to ever get beyond the programmer level, it will need to be simplified.  For instance, I thought Pypilot was a plugin for OpenCPN.  But there is a standalone and openplotter versions too, I guess.  I don't really know what I am working with.  How do these pieces fit together?  What is the slave and what is the master?

You might find it useful to look at the guide in the thread called Pypilot for Dummys.
it's a bit more involved in manual changes for openplotter at the moment, especially with the hat.

Despite this, there is a service "pypilot_hat" which normally must be running for the lcd display to be available. You can enable this service at boot, or invoke it manually to verify the lcd is working