This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TinyPilot Hardware
I know that TinyPilot hardware is a Raspberry Pi zero W and an Arduino Nano. However I have a 1st Generation Raspberry Pi Model B and an Arduino Uno in my box of bits. Can I save some money and try the system out with these parts or am I going to run into lots of problems?
it should work but if you run into problems you know what to do Smile
Hi,

it´s possible to use the tinypilot image with a raspberry pi b I think. I use a pi 2b sometimes for tests. This works but without the wifi function. Maybe you can run an usb wifi dongle as accesspoint but I didn´t try this cause I didn´t need it for my test runs.

Arduino: You have to look if the Pins of the Uno and Nano counted the same way. If so-> no problems. If not -> you have to change the Pin-numbers in the code.

Main difference is that the nano have more analog in/out pins.

If you google for "arduino nano uno difference" you find something like this: difference

Best regards

Andreas
(2021-03-08, 08:29 PM)Andreas29 Wrote: Arduino: You have to look if the Pins of the Uno and Nano counted the same way. If so-> no problems. If not -> you have to change the Pin-numbers in the code.

Thanks Andreas.

The Arduino Nano is so cheap I just bought one and it should save me some messing around. 

I will try my Raspberry pi B and see what happens. I can live without wifi for now. The Pi zero W is also cheap but the Pi 3 would give me more future options.
also future pypilot may be able to utilize significantly more processing power, i'm not sure even a pi 3 is enough
Hi,

the to asked for hardware for tinypilot. 
Will tinypilot grow up in the future so that a raspberry pi zero will not be enough?

Are there differences in function between pypilot and tinypilot? 

Regards

Andreas
(2021-03-08, 05:27 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: it should  work but if you run into problems you know what to do Smile

Tinypilot loads OK on the Pi B.
I get this output when it starts
screen shot
Does the No such device error refer to the missing Wifi for the Rasp Pi B I'm using?
Or does it refer to the missing IMU?
If I do ps I can see processes running with names like autopilot and PyPilot. Does that mean PyPilot is running?
If I connect the PC and the raspberry pi with a network cable and browse to the IP address no page displays.
How do I access the web interface?
The ifconfig message relates to the network (=wi-fi) setup; you can follow the boot sequence in /opt/bootlocal.sh. If you see pypilot processes, chances are it's running all right. The browser interface might be at :8080; if not try :8000. You can see open ports with netstat -anlt.

If you have 23322 open, you can connect to it with an opencpn plugin; just type the ip address of the tinypilot in the host box under config.
You cannot use a regular ethernet cable between the PC and the pi; you'd need two cables to connect them both to a common ethernet router. Then type ifconfig on the tinypilot to see if you get an address.

I just installed a tinypilot myself: the browser interface should be at port 80. The latest tinypilot image I downloaded from pypilot.org has an old version of pypilot that most probably won't connect to your opencpn. I'll upload a new version of my document in the pypilot for dummies thread which might give you some handles.
(2021-03-11, 12:38 AM)ironman Wrote: I just installed a tinypilot myself: the browser interface should be at port 80. The latest tinypilot image I downloaded from pypilot.org has an old version of pypilot that most probably won't connect to your opencpn. I'll upload a new version of my document in the pypilot for dummies thread which might give you some handles.

It’s all getting too difficult to use my old Raspberry Pi B without Wi-Fi.

Am I right in thinking I can load the tinypilot image on a raspberry pi 4?

Do I then also have the option to run Open Plotter and use Pypilot from within that package?