This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pypilot setup procedure?
I2C read error from 12, 16 - Failed to read compass fuse ROM

This indicates the compass sensors do not work in your imu. Try a different imu.

I guess I should modify RTIMULIb2 to make this an error not a warning?

So far, pypilot depends on compass even in wind mode, however the "untested" wind pilot algorithm does not require compass sensors in wind mode, but it does require wind sensors even in compass mode. With alternate algorithms, using only gyro+gps should also give reasonable results. So how to deal with this in pypilot?
(2021-03-21, 04:24 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: I2C read error from 12, 16 - Failed to read compass fuse ROM

This indicates the compass sensors do not work in your imu.   Try a different imu.

I guess I should modify RTIMULIb2 to make this an error not a warning?

Having an error alert to a bad IMU would help newbies narrow down the troubleshooting between hardware and software. Of course that only works if confidence is high that the problem really is in hardware.   Smile
I agree. The problem is, this "failure of compass sensors only" with working gyro and accel is a new problem I have only seen recently so the code didn't handle this case correctly. It's still not clear if pypilot should shut down completely with lack of compass since as I mentioned gps+gyro or wind+gyro can make a working pilot which could be very useful in cases where the compass fails. It's just difficult because it could also fall back in this way if the magnetic field is too high, so in this case a different warning.
Just to follow up. All the problems stemmed from a bad IMU. Replacement worked right away. Thanks everyone who helped. I learned a bunch of stuff that I would not have had the IMU worked first try.

Simon