This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pypilot setup procedure?
Can you go through these steps again line by line and capture the output:

cd
sudo apt-get install python-gps python-serial libpython-dev python-numpy python-scipy swig
sudo rm -Rf pypilot/ pypilot_data/
git clone https://github.com/marcobergman/pypilot
git clone --depth 1 https://github.com/pypilot/pypilot_data
cp -rv pypilot_data/* pypilot
cd pypilot
python3 setup.py build
sudo python3 setup.py install

I just did it myself, your output should look somewhat like attached but please submit yours.

Attached Files
.txt   pypilotrebuild.txt (Size: 40.66 KB / Downloads: 184)
Terminal output is attached.

Attached Files
.txt   pypilot terminal dump.txt (Size: 36.87 KB / Downloads: 166)
That seems to be a flawless execution of what results on this side of the pond in a flawless result. Can you shutdown pypilot in openplotter and then run it at the prompt, and share the output again?
I hope I'm not missing something incredibly fundamental to running this thing and wasting your time. 
Just in case it provides a clue I ran Pypilot configured the old way with nmea and then with zero config, mdns on. 

Does this mean anything - in only compass mode both control and browser control buttons are grayed out.

Attached Files
.txt   pypilot zero config.txt (Size: 2.35 KB / Downloads: 193)
.txt   pypilot nmea 0183 connection.txt (Size: 2.32 KB / Downloads: 183)
(2021-03-20, 02:36 PM)SimonLew Wrote: I hope I'm not missing something incredibly fundamental to running this thing and wasting your time. 
Just in case it provides a clue I ran Pypilot configured the old way with nmea and then with zero config, mdns on. 

Does this mean anything - in only compass mode both control and browser control buttons are grayed out.
Hi
Just an observation:
I'm not shure if Pypilot runs on am RPI4
Others might know better
Save sailing
Andreas
Looks like an MPU9255 was detected.
Also the pyPilot version is recent (>0.24), so fat so good.

I wonder what IMU you used exactly.

To state the obvious, the MPU9255 available from most suppliers might not work with pyPilot.
(To be more exact, the RTIMUlib2 might not work with some some particular versions available on the market).
You might want to folow the link and compare your IMU with the pictures.

@andreas: for TinyPilot a pi-zero is preferred. For OpenPlotter a RPI4. Both should run pyPilot.
I doubt many people will build a new system based on the RPI2 or RPI3, although some will try to update a RPI3 to a recent OpenPlotter version.
I purchased MPU9255 from Sean.
I have it running successfully on an raspberry pi 4. And I have a 9255 - from sean as well, from 2019. What triggers me is the line

I2C read error from 12, 16 - Failed to read compass fuse ROM

I don't know what it means but it seems to be significant. I'm on the boat now and its 5C/41F inside, so I'll get back to you when I'm at home. There's a line in the pypilot github readme regarding downloading the latest RTIMULIB library, which I have not included in the workbook because I assumed that has already been done in the openplotter distribution, but it might be worth a try, because it might cover library code for novel hardware (your imu, i mean).
Yeah, saw that line.  No idea what it means but it doesn’t sound good. Will look into updating RTIMULIB. Thanks for keeping at this even on boat time. 5C is chilly. We’re wimps. Generally stay off the boat if it dips below 15C... at night.  Big Grin
I looked into RTIMULib and best I can tell, from reading old threads, this has to have been implemented properly a long time ago to work with the 9255 so shouldn’t need updating. I installed it anyway, it made no difference. Running “RTIMULibDemo/RTIMULibDemo” generates the same “I2C read error from 12, 16 - Failed to read compass fuse ROM” error. Are we looking at a bad MPU9255 board?