This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Openplotter on RPis
(2021-03-19, 09:39 PM)SCarns Wrote: Did I mention that I have access to all this data remotely from my phone? I've made iPhone versions of many of these panes. I have a new Netgear router with a LTE cellular modem built in. We are liveaboards, so we have high-speed internet at the dock, but "fall-over" onto cellular when we unplug. In the router, I port-forward port 3000 to Openplotter.local. I just need to know my current IP address and I can access this data from anywhere. I'm often caught showing off my "stuff" at the local boat chandlery. I get made fun of a lot for being to nerdy, but I think they are just jealous.

Thanks for this great post. I'm a bit fuzzy on the above paragraph. I know how this can work if your iPhone is on the local boat WiFi network but what happens if you are out of range? How can you tunnel into the marina network to your boat network? Are you using the LTE IP address?
By 'my current IP address' which are you referring to? The WAN IP of your Netgear router? The IP of the Openplotter RPI? Or something else.

Thanks again,
Bill
[quote pid='19390' dateline='1620413335']
Thanks for this great post. I'm a bit fuzzy on the above paragraph. I know how this can work if your iPhone is on the local boat WiFi network but what happens if you are out of range? How can you tunnel into the marina network to your boat network? Are you using the LTE IP address?
By 'my current IP address' which are you referring to? The WAN IP of your Netgear router? The IP of the Openplotter RPI? Or something else.

Thanks again,
Bill
[/quote]

I’m a liveaboard, so I have spectrum high speed at the dock. So I just forward the signalk port in my router and then hit the IP of my cable modem (http://whatsmyip.com makers finding this easy). 

It might be easier to use The Raspberry Pi’s VPN features, but I haven’t explored that yet. This works for now and I can see what’s happening when the boat is at the dock and I’m away, so I haven’t bothered looking at different options.
(2021-05-08, 03:13 AM)SCarns Wrote: [quote pid='19390' dateline='1620413335']

Thanks again,
Bill

I’m a liveaboard, so I have spectrum high speed at the dock. So I just forward the signalk port in my router and then hit the IP of my cable modem (http://whatsmyip.com makers finding this easy). 

It might be easier to use The Raspberry Pi’s VPN features, but I haven’t explored that yet. This works for now and I can see what’s happening when the boat is at the dock and I’m away, so I haven’t bothered looking at different options.
[/quote]

That makes total sense now, you're not going through the marina WiFi but rather have a cable modem with an Internet routable address on the WAN side. Thanks for clearing this up. Can't wait to try some of this out on my boat.

Bill