This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can't get Ruuvitag plugin to work in Signal K
I've had good luck getting Signal K plugins to work, but I'm stuck with the signalk-ruuvitag-plugin. I'm using current Open Plotter on a RPi 4B.

I think I have properly used the sudo command to give permissions to scan BLE devices, the plugin reports Started status, but I don't see any data in Data Browser.

I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this, whether my issue is with the OS or Signal K or the Ruuvi. Any help?

Alan
(2021-03-24, 09:38 PM)traveler Wrote: I've had good luck getting Signal K plugins to work, but I'm stuck with the signalk-ruuvitag-plugin. I'm using current Open Plotter on a RPi 4B.

I am able to answer my own question. Out of the box, a Ruuvi tag displays data to an iOS device but needs a software update to log data to an iPhone.    [https://ruuvi.com/software-update/]

My updated Ruuvi tag was finally identified by the Signal K plugin, but it took maybe 12 hours to show up and it never sent data. 

A second Ruuvi without updated software works as expected. It appears Ruuvi will start shipping tags with version 3 in May. This may affect using the Signal K plugin.

Alan
You are correct in that it does required the permissions to scan BLE devices, as stated in the plug in. I put the "sudo setcap cap_net_raw+eip $(eval readlink -f `which node`)" into /etc/rc.local just to be sure that permissions are given on start up, just in case. I reinstalled openplotter last night and forgot that step. Was kind of shocked when there was not data and then had my epiphany that I forgot that one very important step.

Steve
Thanks for confirming this. Using a Raspberry Pi and learning Linux is all new for me, so I am stumbling along trying to understand how to make all this work together. Both of my Ruuvitags now show up in Signal K if left for a while, but something is finicky and I often lose the data connection. It seems to be my Raspberry Pi 4 Bluetooth causing the problems from what I have read. I'm not sure if there is an easy fix for that.

On the other hand, this Node-Red dashboard written by Pyssel is a very nice way to display the Ruuvi data.
https://pysselilivet.blogspot.com/2019/1...e-red.html

Overall I think having a few of the Ruuvitags on the boat will be beneficial for both long term monitoring and for short term troubleshooting.

Alan
(2021-03-25, 11:21 PM)traveler Wrote:
(2021-03-24, 09:38 PM)traveler Wrote: I've had good luck getting Signal K plugins to work, but I'm stuck with the signalk-ruuvitag-plugin. I'm using current Open Plotter on a RPi 4B.

I am able to answer my own question. Out of the box, a Ruuvi tag displays data to an iOS device but needs a software update to log data to an iPhone.    [https://ruuvi.com/software-update/]

My updated Ruuvi tag was finally identified by the Signal K plugin, but it took maybe 12 hours to show up and it never sent data. 

A second Ruuvi without updated software works as expected. It appears Ruuvi will start shipping tags with version 3 in May. This may affect using the Signal K plugin.

Alan

It is rare that the Ruuvi tag took so long to appear. Have you ever experienced something similar?

I think I have properly used the sudo command to give permissions to scan BLE devices, the plugin reports Started status, but I don't see any data in Data Browser.

I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this, whether my issue is with the OS or Signal K or the Ruuvi. Any help?

Alan

It is rare that the Ruuvi tag took so long to appear. Have you ever experienced something similar?
I assume the Ruuvitags are sending data constantly, and that Signal K (via the signalk-ruuvitag-plugin) is not recognizing the data. Of the two tags I bought a week ago, the one that I did not update the firmware on is recognized first, usually directly after Signal K is launched. On the second tag I updated the firmware to 3.29.0 and it will show up hours later if i leave things alone.

Eventually both tags will quit updating in the Signal K data browser for some unknown reason if I am using other processes on the RPi. I wonder if the sudo setcap command is not persistent, and/or the RPi is dropping the BLE signal. The tags are one foot away and the Pi is in a plastic case, so distance is not the issue.

Would an external USB Bluetooth BLE adapter make a difference?

Alan
Another success! After lots of reading, plus trial and error, I believe my problem was related to Bluetooth in my Raspberry Pi 4, which lots of others have issues with.

After updating BlueZ  to the latest version 5.58, my Ruuvitags are connecting when I launch Signal K and staying connected. I followed this slightly outdated guide for help in updating.

Alan