This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Monitor bilge pump (Qwiic)
Hi

Winter is upon us (northern hemisphere) and I want to set up some remote monitoring of my boat, as it will be staying in the water this winter. 
I have a rpi4 with pican-m. I plan to set up an Internet connection via 4g usb stick. 
I was wondering how I go about monitoring my bilge pump using a qwiic sensor via my pican-m. It has floater which activates it, so I think something that senses the current draw would work?

Thanks in advance.
I would think that you could just measure the voltage across the switch, or between one of the sides of the switch and ground. When the switch is activated, the voltage across it will be zero, when it is open it won't be zero. Or, just measure the voltage across the pump, if you have a separate switch and pump. If you don't have direct access to the switch, I would open up the pump, find where the switch is, and bring a couple of wires out.

Put a voltmeter across the leads and activate the switch and see what changes. If, for example, you see a transition between house voltage (12V?) and zero, you can put a small resistor voltage divider there to drop that voltage to 3V and then trigger when it goes from 3V to zero.

Once you have that, you can use a GPIO on the PI to monitor the change.
I'm doing something similar. However, how do you get Openplotter or SignalK to monitor and action when the bilge pump activates?
You can use the GPIO module in OpenPlotter to assign a pin to a SignalK key. There are a number of SignalK plugins available for notifications based on key values.
(2021-10-17, 09:19 PM)abarrow Wrote: You can use the GPIO module in OpenPlotter to assign a pin to a SignalK key. There are a number of SignalK plugins available for notifications based on key values.

I'm not running Openplotter on the Pi near the pump, is there an alternative way please?
Colin