This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GPS not working with Openplotter
I have successfully installed OpenPlotter on my Rpi3b. Now I'm trying to hookup the GPS. I purchased a USB BU-353 because of favorable reviews.

From the manufacturers support page (RASPBERRY PI – GlobalSat BU-353S4 GPS Installation | Instant Support Site) I installed :apt-get install gpsd gpsd-clients python-gps
Then entered the command:gpsd /dev/ttyUSB0 -F /var/run/gpsd.sock

If I look at lsusb I can see the GPS
If i look at : sudo cat /dev/ttyUSB0  I can see the data stream.
If I look at : cgps -s I see the live position!

when I go to OpenCPN OPTIONS>CONNECTIONS I add a serial... dataport /dev/ttyUSB0 4800... however nothing shows up?

Any ideas would be most appreciated!!!
Thanks for any information!
(2017-01-06, 05:54 PM)solo Wrote: I have successfully installed OpenPlotter on my Rpi3b. Now I'm trying to hookup the GPS. I purchased a USB BU-353 because of favorable reviews.

From the manufacturers support page (RASPBERRY PI – GlobalSat BU-353S4 GPS Installation | Instant Support Site) I installed :apt-get install gpsd gpsd-clients python-gps
Then entered the command:gpsd /dev/ttyUSB0 -F /var/run/gpsd.sock

If I look at lsusb I can see the GPS
If i look at : sudo cat /dev/ttyUSB0  I can see the data stream.
If I look at : cgps -s I see the live position!

when I go to OpenCPN OPTIONS>CONNECTIONS I add a serial... dataport /dev/ttyUSB0 4800... however nothing shows up?

Any ideas would be most appreciated!!!
Thanks for any information!
Openplotter forwards nmea data via tcp so you shouldn't configure Opencpn to look at the serial port, for V0.8 it's port 10110 and V0.9 port 10109, (might be wrong, from memory but check in the access point tab)

[Image: opencpn1.jpg]
https://sailoog.gitbooks.io/openplotter-...encpn.html

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk
Sad 
ok... but when I select the USB input in Openplotter it doesn't either?

[Image: 63XftH]

I have tried to insert a screen shot... but it seems like its not working either Huh
Having the same problem, my gps puck works on my lap top but not on Rpi.  Have tried v0.8.0 & v0.10.0.  the red light on the puck is solid when it is looking, flashing when it has a signal.  on the Rpi it goes from solid to flashing but open cpn can't see it

Any info would be great.
if gpsd is running and cgps works, then you must not make a serial connection.

Maybe openplotter can forward gpsd to a tcp socket, but normaly opencpn can connect directly to gpsd.

In opencpn you make a "gpsd" connection not "tcp" to localhost usually it's on port 2947.

Maybe opencpn should auto-scan for gpsd?
(2017-09-22, 04:52 AM)seandepagnier Wrote: if gpsd is running and cgps works, then you must not make a serial connection.

Maybe openplotter can forward gpsd to a tcp socket, but normaly opencpn can connect directly to gpsd.

In opencpn you make a "gpsd" connection not "tcp" to localhost usually it's on port 2947.

Maybe opencpn should auto-scan for gpsd?

I have the same issue.

My gpsd is working well. I am checking with xgps
i had to modify the settings : USBAUTO= "true"  in case i dsiconect and reconect the gps + DEVICES = "/dev/ttyUSB0"

If i connect gpsd straight from Opencpn it's working also. i can see the nmea sentence + green signal

But impossible to make it work with openplotter.

Even if i know how to get my postion in an other way i'd like to get it from openplotter to send it latter to my VHF radio.

i tried with usb manager => adding a serial ttyPO_gps and then in the nmae tab i add this Port. I thought it was not working because gpsd was already using /dev/ttyUSB0.
i killed gpsg (killall gpsd) but it is still not working, maybe beacuse after a while gpsd restart automaticaly (ps -aux | grep gpad ) ? Maybe because Openplotter cannot understand binaries from the usb com when gpsd can ? i am diaspointed becaus if the gps is not on /dev/ttyUSB0 gpsd will not work anymore.

Last point i tried to set gpsd as an input of Openplotter and it is not working also ?
in the NMEA tab i used various settings
i tried to set somting like that :
TCP / 127.0.0.1 / 2947
when i click on inspector and latitude for example i get localhost:10110 Error time out
if i restart Kplex my new gpsd line deasappear ! sounds like a bug ?

I have tested on 0.8.0 version of Openplotter.

Any idea ?

Cordialy
Dominique
Why don't you turn your BU-353 back to nmea mode?
http://www.spotwise.com/2014/11/26/switc...nmea-mode/
To make sure my GPS (HAICOM HI 204 III] is not in a binary mode i have tried the folowing command as explained in your link :
Code:
sudo gpsctl -n -D 4 /dev/ttyUSB0
Nothing change with the serial method neither with openplotter nor with opencpn, even if I neutralize gpsd. 

Finally i have been able to make my gps working with openplotter with the flowing steps :
1 - setting gpsd : USBAUTO= "true"   and DEVICES = "/dev/ttyUSB0"
2 - reboot the raspberry or quicly do :
Code:
sudo killall gpsd
sudo gpsd /dev/ttyUSB0

3 - I burn a new Sd card with the latest version of openplotter : v0.10.0alpha.noobs
4 - in the Kplex NMEA tab i added :  gpsd / TCP / in / 127.0.0.1 / 2947
So the main problem was the openplotter version.

Now openplotter read properly the gps and transfer to any opencpn on my local network through the TCP 10109 port.
i hope that when i'll add more devices on the USB it will not mess up the ttyUSB0 for gpsd... i still think it should be better to read the gps from openplotter directly from the serial port.