This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pypilot vs Tinypilot interface
Hi all,
I have A tinypilot and motor controller from Sean as well as a openplotter load on an RPi4.
Success in getting the tinypilot into signal K the new way (client mode, install packages, approve request in signalk)
Success in viewing the Roll, heading etc data in signalk.
Success in connecting opencpn pypilot plug in with the tinypilot.  Seems to be working Smile 
So I figure we are on our way as more components arrive (this is a new build)

I see there are 3 ways to connect to the autopilot
1. Direct through the web browser
2. Through the open CPN browser
3. Through pyilot 'app' in openplotter

I can't get #3 to work at all and actually, I'm not sure if its supposed to work.  Can anyone shed light on if the tinypilot should work with the pypilot app in openplotter and if so, how is it done?
What to do with the available USB port on the tinypilot - Does it connect to the RPi4?

Thanks!
Mathew Koziell
The pypilot interface from openplotter is just python scripts.

In theory you should be able to run:

pypilot_control 192.168.14.1

This will connect to the remote tinypilot. If you get any errors, please post here.
(2021-04-29, 06:35 AM)mateo Wrote: What to do with the available USB port on the tinypilot - Does it connect to the RPi4?

Depends on what you want to do with it. For a remote user interface you'd need tcp connectivity through port 23322. You could use the USB port to provide tinypilot with nmea data from the rpi4, I guess, but I'm not aware of anyone having done that.
Photo 

(2021-04-29, 07:05 AM)seandepagnier Wrote: The pypilot interface from openplotter is just python scripts.

In theory you should be able to run:

pypilot_control 192.168.14.1

This will connect to the remote tinypilot.   If you get any errors, please post here.

I get a connection failed error... see attached.
you need to upgrade pypilot on openplotter, the pypilot installed there is the older version
And this is how https://github.com/pypilotWorkbook/workb...t-software
Thanks.
I've updated pypilot and run the command pypilot_control X.X.X.X
it worked well, but the gui is still on the old version (2.1.1)
the icon points to openplotter-pypilot - should I be removing or updating that software or updating the shortcut?

(2021-04-29, 10:03 PM)mateo Wrote: Thanks.
I've updated pypilot and run the command pypilot_control X.X.X.X
it worked well, but the gui is still on the old version (2.1.1)
the icon points to openplotter-pypilot  - should I be removing or updating that software or updating the shortcut?

I see, openplotter-pypilot somehow acts as a launchpad for pypilot_control etc, but it seems it should have a config/settings file where I likely need to point it to my tinypilot Ip.
See attached.
Do you know how to configure openplotter-pypilot so it controls/launches pypilot appropriately?
From the command line pypilot_control works well, same as the web browser, but launching the 'control' button from openploter-pypilot only pulls up a dud, "web browser" is localhost:8080 instead of my tinypilot Ip.
This might help Using openplotter tools remotely. Looks like you want to update ~/.pypilot/pypilot_client.conf with your tiny's ip.
Yes, it's broken, and I know about it. I will look at it really soon.