This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Signal K, instrument panel, browser plugin - getting started
Once again, I love openplotter! I have most things up & running, but when it comes to Signal K, its all new to me, and i still dont understand it.

I attached some 1W-sensors and configured them successful in the 1W-Tab in openplotter. When i go to the Signal K Tab and klick Diagnostic, they are shown correct with a Celsius-Value.

Next i tried the Node-Red-Thing and opened a browser with the openplotter:3000/instrumentpanel-Link. There i get a predefined Panel, showing some things like SOG, Position and my 1W-Sensors. But there are other values, i think its Farenheit? (291 instead of 19).

In the "Configure-View", i see nothing to configure than an on/off slider for each Instrument.

So my question is:

How to configure the appearance (size, order, kind of Instrument) and the right dimension (Celsius)?

And, another question: On my search, i found the "Signal K Browser Plugin" -Thing, when hitting the "Signal K Tools" button in OPs Signal K-Tab. There is shown a "Marine Traffic Reporter". What is this? Does it report all AIS information captured by openplotter to MarineTraffic? Or is this something like self-report-tool, that reports own position to MarineTraffic (something i would really, really love!)?

Thanks in advance!
Nico
Hi,

Here are my remarks
Quote:Next i tried the Node-Red-Thing and opened a browser with the openplotter:3000/instrumentpanel-Link. 

These are basically two separate things;
  • Node-RED --> localhost:1880/# , Node-RED-dashboard localhost:1880/ui
  • Signal-K output --> localhost:3000
Quote:i think its Farenheit? (291 instead of 19).

The basic value for temp which is used is Kelvin, we work in the SI system. You will see the same with pressure hPa versus Pa, and speed m/s
  If you want to convert this for Node-red. there are other posts on this forum here where you can find how to convert
  The instrumentpanel from signal-K is very basic. see https://github.com/signalk/instrumentpanel  I don't know if it is possible to convert somewhere in the settings. If you know it let me know.

Quote:i found the "Signal K Browser Plugin" -Thing

as you hope, i think it is this: https://github.com/tkurki/marinetrafficreporter
you can find some info about IP address and port for marine traffic on: http://www.marinetraffic.com/files/AIS_LOGGER_vS.pdf
Not tested, let me know if it works ;-)

Suc6 !

G.
(2017-01-14, 11:18 AM)windowElbeTaxi Wrote: I attached some 1W-sensors and configured them successful in the 1W-Tab in openplotter. When i go to the Signal K Tab and klick Diagnostic, they are shown correct with a Celsius-Value.
In your picture of diagnostic window you see that "private Unit" is enabled.
If you disable it you will see the SI-units.
You can config private Unit on the Unit Setting button. But these settings are only used for the diagnostic window at the moment!
I struggled with the unit issue also and have now used the function-node to convert Celsius, kn and rad.
Was also expecting that SingalK uses the "privat Unit" - no need to stay so privat Smile

Hope this spec is changing until release.
(2017-01-21, 07:19 AM)SkipperEarly Wrote: I struggled with the unit issue also and have now used the function-node to convert Celsius, kn and rad.
Was also expecting that SingalK uses the "privat Unit" - no need to stay so privat Smile

Hope this spec is changing until release.
The advantage of SignalK-server is that it uses si-units. Every client hasn't to think about which unit is send by SignalK because it is always the same si-unit!!! That is the standard!!! To convert to private/local unit is the task of the client!!!

If there is a unit setting file or something like this in a webside, app, program we can look if we are able to copy private Unit of OpenPlotter to it.
Thanks e-sailing, for clarification. If its the standard then so it shall be.
I am still learning and was expecting otherwise.

BTW - when can I expect the next update of 0.9.0 alfa? did not see any commits on github so assume no updated versions are available for playing.
(2017-01-23, 07:22 AM)SkipperEarly Wrote: BTW - when can I expect the next update of 0.9.0 alfa? did not see any commits on github so assume no updated versions are available for playing.
We are more than 15 commits ahead of the alpha image. There are also bash files to make updates easier.
https://github.com/sailoog/openplotter/t...9.0/update

Sometimes network doesn't work as it should.
changes:
- imu nmea can be enabled under calculation (backwards compatible)
- integrated english help file
- the SPI for analog input (MCP3008) doesn't start automatically (we hope to solve some issues with some touchscreens)
- SignalK can be installed without adding any OpenPlotter file
- startup shows up on boot to follow start of Programs (startup stop can be used to stop most programs)
- diverse fixes
But how to get from the alpha image to the code with the bash updates? The readme now assumes we have the update scripts. I've tried to wget the scripts but they didn't run.

There used to be instructions on how to clear out openplotter and get the new code from github but they've been overwritten.
(Also, link to the script referenced in the readme is a dead link, so even the new instructions are a bit out of date).

(And sorry, can you remind me of the path to the openplotter folder in the image?)
(2017-03-14, 03:21 AM)Saqqara Wrote: ........ I've tried to wget the scripts but they didn't run.

I just did the same - the scripts ran OK - did you wget the raw git page? 

-->:
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/sailoo...aspbian.sh update_raspbian.sh

then in the same directory -->

bash update_raspbian.sh

Works on a v0.9.0 image on a pi 3.
Thank you, your instructions made the difference. I did the Raspian update, restarted, then the OP script, restarted, then ran the SK script that was then present on the device. Now I can finally get into Node Red!