This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Just enough OS for OP
Hi everyone,

I have been an OP user for years, I've used the pre-configured images and I've started from scratch from other Linux distros.
After using LibreElec (Just enough OS for Kodi) I have been thinking. LibreElec boots insanely fast, because it has been stripped to the bone I guess, just enough to make Kodi work.

I realize there are major differences, but it didn't leave my mind after seeing the boot time.
I also realize that, it might not be possible to try this on an OP distribution or it might take a huge amount of time to try. 
It might be that OP really needs all the boot time, because of various Python scripts, services, starting a GUI, various webapps, etc.

But, nevertheless, might such a project "Just enough OS for OP" be interesting?
Has somebody every tried it? Any other thoughts?

Tinypilot might be an example of just enough operating system for an autopilot, never tried it but I suppose this is exactly what Sean tried to accomplish.
But, looking at OP after the GUI is loaded the startup script starts checking and starting all the services that where enabled within all the separate python applications, such as serial, i2c, etc. So in this case I think OP really would need the GUI? Unless the functionalities could be built in a CLI kind of GUI that can be run from a terminal with SSH? I know that SignalK probably doesn't need a GUI because this is just a webserver. However, the combination of OP and SignalK makes it really powerful in my opinion.

Hope there are some people who could join me in the discussion.
Not a bad idea. We could do like Ubuntu:

The current OpenPlotter images should be "OpenPlotter Desktop" and we could have a parallel "OpenPlotter Server" without GUI.

OpenCPN and some other graphical apps should not be present in "OpenPlotter Server". Its main goal should be feeding other devices running OpenCPN or run AvNav with data for navigation. Signal K could be managed remotely and we should develop a web interface to manage some openplotter settings.
Yes, maybe a really good idea.
We already had some intial discussions on web based interfaces...
I guess it would be good to collect ideas what should be included - to get a view what should be implemented first and how much effort this would be.
As an alternative OpenPlotter could continue to focus on the current approach - and there could be other images focussing on the headless approach.
From my pov it heavily depends on what others would like to see included.
We could also coordinate the efforts in OpenPlotter, OpenCPN, PyPilot, AvNav and Signal K a little, so that they work together optimally and we get the most out of the dev effort available.
(2021-05-05, 09:55 AM)tkurki Wrote: We could also coordinate the efforts in OpenPlotter, OpenCPN, PyPilot, AvNav and Signal K a little, so that they work together optimally and we get the most out of the dev effort available.

Would really appreciate that.
(2021-05-04, 08:12 PM)Sailoog Wrote: Not a bad idea. We could do like Ubuntu:

The current OpenPlotter images should be "OpenPlotter Desktop" and we could have a parallel "OpenPlotter Server" without GUI.

OpenCPN and some other graphical apps should not be present in "OpenPlotter Server". Its main goal should be feeding other devices running OpenCPN or run AvNav with data for navigation. Signal K could be managed remotely and we should develop a web interface to manage some openplotter settings.

That would be great for using a Pi Zero, I've a zero just running sigK & influx as the data hub on full time as it just sips power ?
(2021-05-05, 10:50 AM)wellenvogel Wrote:
(2021-05-05, 09:55 AM)tkurki Wrote: We could also coordinate the efforts in OpenPlotter, OpenCPN, PyPilot, AvNav and Signal K a little, so that they work together optimally and we get the most out of the dev effort available.

Would really appreciate that.

+1
I propose to add o-charts to that team
ok, so many of us agreed that we could try to align efforts.
The question:
How to do this?
I see 2 basic options:
1. We start with describing our focus for the different software pieces and ask users for feedback (here?)
2. We ask users what they would like to get - like this post started with.
And we could check which of the software parts could fit those needs...

Most probably there could be other options...
Regards
Andreas
Great idea !
I use a raspberry zero with only pypilot and IMU to distribute data to opencpn running on a notebook.
I really would appreciate an OP server on a raspberry zero.

Thanks for your work.

Sandro
I think whatever people are running on pi zero could be
run on OpenWrt router.
It would be nice to see openplotter package for
OpenWrt.

Thanks
Download BBN Marine OS for raspberry pi 

https://bareboat-necessities.github.io/m...at-os.html

Video of actual installation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zMjUs2X3qU