This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reliable IMU Suppliers?
Hi All

I was hoping that the team could help.

I am looking for a reliable IMU supplier.  I bought 3 GY-91 sensors (a MPU9250).
One was DOA, One would only pick up Barometric
I know I was doing something right, because the third worked (magnetic, baro etc) but - the accelerometer only seems to work in one plane on the 'calibrate' screen.
For now, its fine, as I needed Magnetic - however, I dont have a lot of confidence in it, and would be loath to go offshore.

The GY-91s were purchased form 2 different Ebay sellers.

I wouldnt mind paying a few quid extra - I am based in Northern Ireland (so can easily buy either EU or UK).  A couple of members at my club were interested in a similar setup...

Cheers
Finbar
follow this: https://forum.openmarine.net/showthread.php?tid=3429
You are certainly not alone in finding that the product quality of sensors is rather bad. I've bought, tested, and returned a number via Amazon/Ebay, until I had one that worked. I also ordered a really cheap one from China, which took a while to arrive, but worked flawlessly.

So there's really no telling.

For most reliable product quality, go through an official distributor. In the USA that would be Mouser, Arrow, and the like. You will pay more. You'll also sleep better.
I've used Waveshare sensors before and have not had an issue with them. I've ordered directly from them on waveshare.com. This is the one I've used and it works a treat with OpenPlotter https://www.waveshare.com/10-dof-imu-sensor-c.htm

It cost me around £15 in total, shipping was pretty quick too (from China).