This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cost effective battery monitoring using Automotive IBS on LIN BUS
Monitoring batteries are important, especially if you are a sailor like me.

I have looked at both expensive nautical battery-sensor technology and I have been looking into the DYI-approach.

If you have a big boat and big bank of batteries the nautical solutions can cost a lot, the benefits are that they are often NMEA out the box and PnP... 

The DIY approach with I2C seems well implemented byt having a bradboard or proto-solution in a race boat does not seems like something I would like to rely on. Another problem is that the I2C solutions do not offer a big enough shunt for boat use.

Since I am a car geek I have come across Hella Intelligen Battery Sensor that are in every modern car. It is voltage and current monitoring in a neat package on the negative pole:
https://www.hella.com/caravan/assets/med...LLA_EN.pdf
It could be implemented to give information on Voltage/Current/SOC/SOH, and in automotive it is really well implemented. The car will start every day until the battery is becoming bad and you will have a "change battery"-code in your dash... then you have 25-50 starts until the battery is completely dead... I have never had a flat battery in my car since the introduction of this technology. In the car this sensor is used to throttle down stuff if you have a bad battery to ensure you could start your car next time around.

The Hella IBS talks LIN-bus. (The LIN bus has other interesting things available for future application in boats.)

The hella sensor is 100U$ new each and they are 5U$ at the scrapper. The module is made for automotive and has a robust automotive grade connector that should last the harsh environment of a boat for a robust solution.

This is something in between the current offer from the nautical companies and the I2C-proto-way.

There are cheep USB/LIN interfaces that could be used:
https://botland.store/can-bus-modules/12...-bus-.html

If I were a better engineer (at all) I would do it myself and contribute to this wonderful project...

Just throwing it out there..