This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Do I get Boat WiFi data to appear on Open CPN
I have a Pi 4 running off a USB SSD drive (as the boot drive) The Software is the latest Image with all updates from Openplotter
I was hoping to add a Moitessier Hat, but that is now on the back burner, so I added a loose I2C board to get a few of the sensors, and the rest was supposed to come via WiFi from the boat sensors.
So I have a Compass ,  3 axis accelerator(supplying Pitch & Heel) , pressure sensor and Temperature sensor all working well on the I2C network . They feed data into Signal K, and that data appears in Open CPN without any problem on the default connection setup
In Open CPN "connections" I add a WiFi network connection to the boat WiFi network, but no boat data appears in Open CPN.  This same WiFi connection works well with my android tablet on Open CPN, and with my Windows laptop with The same version of open CPN as the Pi has (latest ).

Both android and windows devices use the exact same WiFi settings and All the wind, GPS, Depth, AIS data is available in Open CPN.
When I apply the same connection settings to the Pi4 Open plotter 2 system, then I have no boat data whatsoever.

I tried in desperation to just get GPS data via a USB "mouse" type GPS. This particular USB GPS device has served me well on open plotter 1 with a Pi 3, but will not work with the Pi 4.  If I setup a USB serial connection In Open CPN and also perform the "sudo  usermod -a-G tty pi" I have data appearing in the NMEA debug window immediately, but no position information on Open CPN
I even tried sending the  serial GPS data to Signal K, because to me Signal K already had a working path to Open CPN. That never worked either. Signal K seems to indicate that it is relieving USB GPS data, but it wont appear on Open CPN

I have run out of places to RTFM, so now hopefully someone can point me to a possible setting I have got wrong
Maybe a scratchy drawing with IP and port numbers would help to identify your problem.
I use the following settings in the Android and windows version
IP 192.168.76.1
Port 10110
Priority 1
Protocol GPSD
Seems to me you should be inserting that extra data into SignalK and then SignalK will send it to opencpn, which you know already works. I’d add the port there and then use SignalK Server Log to trouble shoot the connection.
What creates your "boat wifi network"?
As said above, in openplotter it's better to get signalk to input any data, then it feeds the data to opencpn, try setting a connection to your wifi network in openplotter/connections. Then you should see the data in signalk

Seems odd that on android/win you're using gpsd? More common to be TCP.
Thanks for the comments

The Boat Network on this boat is from a fairly new generation B&G Vulcan Chart plotter .

The TCP GPSD thing was strange to me as well. On a previous boat, and the old Pi3 I used TCP, and it took me a long time to get the android to work on this boat, because I set it TCP, and when it wouldn't work, I changes things until it did work....with some help from an IT friend. I don't really know what the differences are.

I did try the USB GPS via signal K and it also never worked. I never tried the WiFi via signal K purely because of time constraints. I had plenty time at home to try the USB GPS though. At the moment the USB GPS works sort of. it shows satellites in the air, but no position or time data , which is another reason I think the Pi PSU is a problem

This weekend past I was on the boat again , and noticed a strange problem with the chart plotter. When the Pi was on, the plotter was having difficulties with GPS fix's. As soon as the Pi was powered off, the problem went away. Owner has never seen the problem before either. I have a theory that the 12v to 5v 5amp switch mode supply is possibly killing the RF in the vicinity of the Pi.
I will go assemble a linear regulator for the Pi (which is what I had in the Pi3, but only 1A capacity) and see if it makes any difference. I went with the switch mode for size and efficiency, but I know they are noisy. Never thought it would be this much of a problem.
(2021-05-10, 06:33 PM)Scamp Wrote: At the moment the USB GPS works sort of. it shows satellites in the air, but no position or time data , which is another reason I think the Pi PSU is a problem

Sounds more like the GPS isn't getting a decent signal from the satellites, you could try it with the gps hanging out a window. If low voltage is a problem there will be a warning top right of the screen.
USB3 interference again?
https://forum.openmarine.net/showthread.php?tid=3062
(2021-05-10, 06:46 PM)Sailoog Wrote: USB3 interference again?
https://forum.openmarine.net/showthread.php?tid=3062

Interesting, Thanks will look at some USB3 shielding as well and move the GPS onto a USB2 port