This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Perfectly waterproof RF remote controls usable with Pypilot
I am looking for a remote to use with a tinypilot hat, the one that came with is it fine but there seems to be a lot of other options...? Can I use any RF remote that uses 433mhz or are there RF remotes that do things that the tinypilot just cannot manage

This is a very expensive one, I absolutely think would be great, but will it work?

https://www.digikey.ca/en/products/detai...MS/1654284

Also, what happens if you have other things on board that also use 433mhz remote controls, is there a way to change the frequency and if so how?

Also, the Tinypilot remote configuration app gives a few options for changing course but the largest is +/- 10 degs... is there a way to make this custom? I use 20° almost exclusively for my use.
Perhaps not "any" 433mhz will work, but I have not found one that does not work.

That remote probably works, if not it will almost certainly work by tweaking the sketch on the hat, but I make no guarente.

what else onboard uses 433? There are 24 bit codes so as long as they use different codes it should be ok.

You could configure for "big port" "big starboard" then in the menu configure these to do 20 degree changes.
(2022-04-07, 02:13 AM)seandepagnier Wrote: what else onboard uses 433?   There are 24 bit codes so as long as they use different codes it should be ok.

You could configure for "big port" "big starboard" then in the menu configure these to do 20 degree changes.

Perfect, thanks Sean, I will let you know how it goes.

I use an Arduino to control two electric winch motors (windshield washer motors) and my auxiliary motor throttle control (small servo motor), the input was over Wi-Fi using my phone, but since I am switching the TinyPilot control input to RF I have done the same for the other 3 motors, so I have 2 RF remotes. One for autopilot input, the other for the other 3 motors.
Now my phone can stay in my pocket or put away, and my guests will not think I am constantly texting someone. 

Forgive me, I feel like I saw a configuration file in the past where I could change the degrees but it has been so long since I dug into the files on the TinyPilot, could you remind me what file to edit to change the degree change to +/- 20°.
It's in .pypilot/hat.conf, look for "bigstep", default is 10 (allowed between 5 and 20).

You also have it in the hat menu.
(2022-04-07, 01:52 PM)stelian Wrote: It's in .pypilot/hat.conf, look for "bigstep", default is 10 (allowed between 5 and 20).

You also have it in the hat menu.

Thank you, that was easy, and a bit of a refresher on how to ssh and find hidden menus.. it's true what they say, use it, lose it!
Wink 
Hi Jean-Marc,

I am developing the Pypilot project based on a solution by AndreasW29, https://github.com/AndreasW29.
In the application Andreas makes a keyboard with inductive buttons, all enclosed in an airtight box.
I leave a video of my raw development.

https://youtu.be/mx-X5n91gL0

Attached Files Image(s)

I had seen these inductive buttons and also made an early version with waterproof buttons.

But today, after a year of using waterproof RF remotes, I think an outdoor box is no longer needed with Pypilot. The Sean’s calculator is better protected above the chart table, against the hull and a little away from electric cables and magnetic devices that can sometimes be placed on the chart table.

I find that the case that Sean provides with his calculator is very good if you don't try to waterproof it. It is better if it is open with holes at the bottom to drain condensation.

Without a tablet or phone, it's easy to change settings with Sean's infrared control remote.

My waterproof remotes have been working perfectly for over a year with the original batteries. The range is always satisfactory on my 30ft sailboat.
Sean d’Epagnier is an awesome designer. I would have liked to be in his navigation area to be able to help him a little.
Thanks to Jean-Marc for its perfect solution for a waterproof remote controller.
On my side, I use a simple solution but that seems efficient too.
I have bought a waterproof pouch designed for credit cards or keys (brand Surfsystem by Decathlon) that fits perfectly to the remote control included in Sean's package. to avoid unwanted action on the buttons, I have glued a small 5 mm thick plexiglas screen with 4 conical holes allowing finger's action only.
I wonder if some of VR Remote Controls could be used instead.
Something like this:

https://www.hamiltonbuhl.com/spectra-rem...emote-vrrc

Thanks
Download BBN Marine OS for raspberry pi 

https://bareboat-necessities.github.io/m...at-os.html

Video of actual installation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zMjUs2X3qU

Hi mgrouch

With Sean's hat, you need one or more 433 MHz radio remote controls with code EV1527. It is desirable that they are waterproof. The link remote control is a bluetooth one which cannot be used.

For an autopilot, it is prudent to use a pi0 independent of the onboard computer. The connection is easily made by wifi between the autopilot and the onboard computer. This makes it possible to operate the autopilot without having to operate the onboard computer for safety and also for lower power consumption.