This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Connect and control ST2000 autopilot
Hello everyone,

I have an old Autohelm ST2000 (pre-raymarine version, no NMEA, only SeaTalk), that i would like to control from OpenPlotter, to use it with signalk-autopilot. That would be the last step in the current "OpenPloterization" of my boat Big Grin

I know this topic is partially covered in this thread but i understand most of the information is obsolete after the release of the GPIO app.

That being said, i have serious issues figuring out:

1) The needed hardware to connect my Raspberry Pi4 + Moitessier HAT to ST2000. Especially if I can achieve it without "crafting" any PCB, cause I don't have the skills (I will learn them if no alternative, of course).

2) How to setup gpio app.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Isn't it that gpio app is only capable of receiving Seatalk 1 stream and transmission is not possible at the moment?
If that is true, then no control with this app is possible for now.
Otherwise there is a signalk module signalk-autopilot which is capable to control Seatalk1 autopilot by sending custom $STALK1 nmea messages. It is supposed to be used with a device which would convert $STALK1 messages to actual Seatalk1 signals, so in order to work with gpio app it would need some development.
Then i'm certainly confused  Huh

According to this post @Cari20 managed to make it work, i'm just not sure to understand how, or what's the required hardware.

Alternatively, would it be possible to use the @seandepagnier's motor controller to control this autopilot? Because that would be an option too.
As @Cari20 mentioned:

Quote:...
First, a little about the hardware:

I used the bidirectional interface published by Thomas Knauf:

http://www.thomasknauf.de/rap/seatalk3

And then RXD signal of this interface is connected to the GPIO used by this new gpio app, while TXD signal is connectd to a TX pin of RPI's UART port, so the data can be sent to the interface.
There is indeed additional hardware involved.
Thank you for your time @serh11!

This is currently above my skills, but since components are so cheap, i might as well, use it as a learning project when i have a bit more time.
openplotter-gpio app can only get data from seatalk 1 devices.

If I am not wrong those ST2000 devices have seatalk 1 in/out but they also have NMEA 0183. If this is true you have just to connect a cheap USB-RS422 converter and configure OpenCPN.

EDIT

Ops sorry I did not read your device does not have NMEA
Sadly this is the oldest model and it only has SeaTalk1 (triple checked it), and i found no one who sell the PCB already done, so i guess the only choice is make it myself.

Already watching for tutorials on how to get started :S
Do you have any device in your seatalk 1 network with NMEA input? maybe a plotter?

Per cert, veig que has completat la traducció de OpenPlotter a català. Moltíssimes gràcies! si vols et puc fer arribar un prototip de el nou MacArthur HAT en la pròxima tirada que suposo que ja estaran a prop de la versió final perquè vagis jugant si et ve de gust.
Quote:Do you have any device in your seatalk 1 network with NMEA input? maybe a plotter?

That one would have been cool, to have another instrument doing the translation job (didn't thought about it), but no, the only other device on board is a Garmin GPSMap520, which only has 2 x NMEA0183 ports.

-----

Si, lo de la traducció al català ha tingut la seva conya: entre optimot, softcatlà, i un parell de diccionaris nàutics, i encara hi ha coses que em sonen marcianes. Encara li vull fer una altra revisada però, perquè en les primeres traduccions hi havia parts d'aplicacions que no havia tocat Tongue
I si i tant, estaria genial poder trastejar el nou HAT!
Then you do not have an easy solution. Seatalk 1 is not friendly electrically (the 9 bits parity issue) and you need special hardware. If there is a reasonable demand it could be included in Signal k, 1 GPIO for input and 1 GPIO for output.

------

No pateixis ja la revisarem si cal. Ja et dire quelcom quan arribi el nou lot de HATs. Merçi!