This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reliably connect two Pi's with SignalK
So,  I have two devices ...  both running OpenPlotter

device one is the "Gateway" ... it is a Pi and has NMEA200 via a PiCan-M and is my WiFi accesspoint ...

Device two is another Pi, with my Moitessier Hat and its only job in life is to serve up the various Moitessier data via SignalK to the Gateway box.

The Hat box successfully connects via WiFi to the Gateway access point, gets an address via DHCP (so far, its been the same IP) ...  The SignalK server on the Gateway box then connects to the Hat box as a data source ... so far, so good.

I've used the IP address of the "Hat" box in the config for the Gateway SignalK data source ... I'm worried at some time the DHCP lease will expire and the address will change ... is there a better way?  Should I manually configure the IP?  Should I use some sort of DNS entry   foo.local or something?  Is there some "service discovery" thing that will help?

I've noticed if they don't all come up together, I sometimes have to restart the Gateway SignlaK server process to get it to pick up the Hat data .. it seems if the Hat box is not there as it all boots up it doesn't retry to connect?  Its only done it a couple of times, that may be a red herring.