This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
tacking from remote control
Wink 
I am trying to sort this mess out for future pypilot, so I'm curious to hear ways to tack and having too many buttons on the remote is a trade off.

Instead of a tack button, it may be possible instead to press two (or more) keys at the same time to initiate a tack.   The remote controls I am using all support multiple buttons as does buttons directly wired to the raspberry.
Hi Sean,
For RF controls, you have provided two buttons TackPort and TackStarboard. Currently the pi0 crashes and restarts if I use them.
Why not transform them into -Tack and +Tack to switch to compass mode and decrease or increase the compass heading when pressing button using the tack angle defined with ap.tack.angle
It seems easier to implement and above all much simpler to use with little risk of error.
The user can then switch back to wind mode when the boat has regained speed.

Thank you for this beautiful work
The plan is to tack when both +10 and +1 buttons are pressed if there is not a tack button available.
(2021-05-25, 02:47 AM)seandepagnier Wrote: The plan is to tack when both +10 and +1 buttons are pressed if there is not a tack button available.

It's also better and safer than a single button
Hi Sean
After reflection, I wonder if a long press on the keys 10 is not preferable. The NKE pilot used by many solo racers controls thus the tacks. They are very satisfied.
it can be difficult to detect long presses depending on the remote.

In any case, I think pressing the tack button, then port or starboard to indicate direction to tack could work
When we push M twice we are in Tack mode, with de direction arrows (port1 and starboard1) we do the tack to the desired direction.  

We only have 4 buttons on our main (Tiny) Control-unit.
A green led is on when auto is on.
We have added Tack to the menu and have it put on top, so when you push M twice you go in tack mode.
The screens go's back to default screen automatically and now the green led is blinking to warn you are in Tack mode.
It stays in Tack mode so you can do multiple tacks if you want.
To stop Tack mode you push the A button, or push A twice and you go in Auto on course.

(2021-06-07, 04:02 PM)Onno Wrote: When we push M twice we are in Tack mode, with de direction arrows (port1 and starboard1) we do the tack to the desired direction.  

We only have 4 buttons on our main (Tiny) Control-unit.
A green led is on when auto is on.
We have added Tack to the menu and have it put on top, so when you push M twice you go in tack mode.
The screens go's back to default screen automatically and now the green led is blinking to warn you are in Tack mode.
It stays in Tack mode so you can do multiple tacks if you want.
To stop Tack mode you push the A button, or push A twice and you go in Auto on course.

Do the M and A buttons also correspond to engage and disengage? If so, I usually use the M button for the autopilot to set the direction of the boat when pressing and I happen to press several times when I steer manually before stepping. engage the pilot or after taking the helm for a big change of course. I prefer that the engage and disengage buttons are only for engaging and disengaging.

Sean's two proposals with the simultaneous pressing of two keys or the pressing of the tack key before pressing a direction key seem to me to be safer.
No A is engage and disengage, M is Menu and select.
In the menu A is straight all the way back to home, so if you are lost in the menu and want do a correction you only have to push A once.
In the menu the arrows are up and down.
Green led means engaged, green led blinking means Tack mode.
Red led and buzzer we want to use for errors. now it turns on when you push a button and you hear a beep from the buzzer.
In Standby you can keep the arrows pressed the drive will move progressively.
In Auto /Engaged the arrows will do 1 degree with single push if you keep it pressed it wil do 5 then 10 and 10 till 100 degrees, at every step the red led will blink and the buzzer will beep.