This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with connection of NMEA 2000 data to Signal K in Openplotter
Hello, 

I have an installation of an RPI4 with Openplotter and a Raymarine network. For connecting the Seatalk / NMEA 2000 network I am using a vyacht router which is connected to a router (and also a PC running OpenCPN). 
in OpenCPN (installed with Openplotter) I can connect easily via wifi and the Tcp connection to the vyacht / NMEA data and I can receive everything in OpenCPN. It works the same way on the PC with OpenCPN (just that the vyacht is hardwired).
I wanted now to see boat data using Signal K but I seem to be missing something to pass  the data to the Signal K server on the  RPI. I tried to add some connections in  Signal K via TCP and used the address of the vyacht but I have not been successful :-(
I also could not connect the boat data to avnav, this seems somehow related. 
However, I am able to access the signal K data from the vyacht directly in the bowser (on RPi4 and on the PC)

It seems that I am missing something here, any help would be highly appreciated.
(2021-05-25, 10:18 AM)Maughidhoo Wrote: Hello, 

I have an installation of an RPI4 with Openplotter and a Raymarine network. For connecting the Seatalk / NMEA 2000 network I am using a vyacht router which is connected to a router (and also a PC running OpenCPN). 
in OpenCPN (installed with Openplotter) I can connect easily via wifi and the Tcp connection to the vyacht / NMEA data and I can receive everything in OpenCPN. It works the same way on the PC with OpenCPN (just that the vyacht is hardwired).
I wanted now to see boat data using Signal K but I seem to be missing something to pass  the data to the Signal K server on the  RPI. I tried to add some connections in  Signal K via TCP and used the address of the vyacht but I have not been successful :-(
However, I am able to access the signal K data from the vyacht directly in the bowser (on RPi4 and on the PC)

It seems that I am missing something here, any help would be highly appreciated.

I'm not familiar with the vyacht device, but it it can connect to OpenCPN, it certainly should be able to connect to SignalK. You'll want SignalK to be the only thing connected to it and you'll connect OpenCPN and AvNav to SignalK. The connection settings in SignalK should be similar to the ones in OpenCPN. Also in SignalK, you'll probably need a couple of plug-ins enabled. 

I assume the vyacht, if connecting to OpenCPN, is some sort of a NMEA2000 to NMEA0183 converter, as OpenCPN doesn't "speak" N2K. Does it do both? You may want to consider going a CAN bus route as SignalK can connect directly with the SeatalkNG network quite easily.

I just checked it out. The vyacht device is essentially your SignalK server, except that it doesn't "speak" SignalK. Which is probably fine. I'm not sure SignalK is needed in your situation.
(2021-05-25, 03:26 PM)SCarns Wrote:
(2021-05-25, 10:18 AM)Maughidhoo Wrote: Hello, 

I'm not familiar with the vyacht device, but it it can connect to OpenCPN, it certainly should be able to connect to SignalK. You'll want SignalK to be the only thing connected to it and you'll connect OpenCPN and AvNav to SignalK. The connection settings in SignalK should be similar to the ones in OpenCPN. Also in SignalK, you'll probably need a couple of plug-ins enabled. 

I assume the vyacht, if connecting to OpenCPN, is some sort of a NMEA2000 to NMEA0183 converter, as OpenCPN doesn't "speak" N2K. Does it do both? You may want to consider going a CAN bus route as SignalK can connect directly with the SeatalkNG network quite easily.

I just checked it out. The vyacht device is essentially your SignalK server, except that it doesn't "speak" SignalK. Which is probably fine. I'm not sure SignalK is needed in your situation.
it seems that I need signal K somehow to access other visualisation like MX Tommy  or run AVNAV. As mentioned before I tried to setup a few connections in signalK with the vyachts IP address and various settings but have not been successful , so am wondering whether anybody has a clearer hint for me?
I am not 100% sure but think that the TCP can only connect to one device at a time, so you could set it up as UDP if you have multiple listeners, however.

I try to set all my devices up to feed signalK and then use signalK to feed all devices.

so, I would interface your device with signalk (and not openCPN) and then interface OpenCPN with the signalk.
I got it resolved with the help from the guy who made avnav. Once i got the gint it was quite clear and simple in the data connections. You have to use NMEA 0183, use TCP client and then set the IP address and portthe router to it.
Hallo. I have similar problem. can yo tell more clear what you have done.
(2021-06-11, 11:58 AM)miegapele Wrote: Hallo. I have similar problem. can yo tell more clear what you have done.

In the signal k panel under data connections I added the vyacht then used the settings inhte second picture (your TCP/IP settings might vary)
[img]blob:https://forum.openmarine.net/98311c2a-2c71-47c0-9a31-98f05d946b9b[/img]
[img]blob:https://forum.openmarine.net/31267bd3-4a5f-4036-82b4-d7bdd503e802[/img]
Picture not visible Sad