This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
wind sensor half recycling

.txt   WindDir.txt (Size: 1.92 KB / Downloads: 210)
Hi,

now my old Navman Wind 3100 died complete also  the display was gone a long time but I could still use NMEA output.
Solutions I was thinking about:
1. DAVIS Sensor disadvantage mechanical poti
2. different sensors from aliexpress output 0 - 5 V with unknown interior
3. using old Navman sensor with broken bearings ???
4. last but not least my final and cheapest solution.
I found this 0 - 5 V output hall sensor
https://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/0.ht...0143910873
It fits nicely into the top cap fixed with glue
The vane has hole of 3 mm and had to be drilled 6 mm with epoxy reinforcement
Big advantage that I could reuse existing mast cable and socket.
Most time wind direction is used for pypilot  if going upwind, wind speed is not implemented as I never used it.
Transformation from sensor to OP and NMEA is done by arduino nano
for the beginning with very simple code but working well, perhaps someone can improve my ugly code.

I think also  broken windsensors from other manufacturers can be recycled this way without use of a 3d printer for the parts.

Kalle

Attached Files Image(s)

Thanks for sharing ! I've been looking for such a sensor (at low cost) for some time now, I'll try to integrate it in a 3D printed system, I'll share the results if it works. I'll try to make it work over Wifi if there is not too much latency
pypilot does use the wind speed if available as a hint for how to lowpass filter the wind direction. So it should react quicker to wind shifts in higher wind for example where in light wind needs more filtering as the wind direction moves around a lot more.

It also is required in true wind mode to have wind speed.

also have a good 3d printed wind sensor, hoping to finally make kits soon...