This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Signal K Filter
I am have trouble getting my head around the filtering of data going to SK.

To filter say, navigation.position:latitude would I Filter on Source = sentence
Value would be say GGA or GLL or RMC
Max timeout[s] = ?

Do I put all 3 Sources (GGA;GLL;RMC) in with different timeout values??

Could someone give me an example how to use say, RMC as my preferred source & then next preference say GLL then GGA as final preference for this data going to SK.

These sources don't cause any problems but when I have my Raymarine MFD running I get way too much data coming in & it slows SK right down or sometimes freezes so I need to filter some sources.

Anyone??
I'm not sure prioritizing individual sentences is purpose of SK Filtering.

My limited understanding (for what that's worth) is to give priority to devices sending the data, rather than giving a priority over sentences. For example, I have two devices that send "position" information, a chart plotter and an AIS. Obviously that causes an issue and a "flicker" on the chart as each devices sends slightly different location information, and SK uses "last-in" info. So filtering would allow SK to prioritize one device (chart plotter) over the other to focus on that info, while using the other (my AIS) as a fall-back in case the first one drops out after a predetermined time.

Is your Raymarine CP connected to SK over a serial bus? If so, I'd assume it's set at 4800 baud, which wouldn't slow SK down. My SK processes over 430 paths a second connected to various serial and can buses with my Raymarine CP pumping in a lot of data over SeatalkNG. The RPi SK runs on barely breaks a sweat. I'd guess in your set up something's not right...

Perhaps you have a data loop and you are "recirculating" NMEA data out and back into SK. Data loops are deadly and can certainly bring SK to its knees and make it crawl.