This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Viper motor speed lower in one direction
Hi,

I am trying to use my pypilot with a viper motor.

I have opened the motor and found the two wires going to the motor itself. All other wires are left alone. As i reverse the polarity, the motor turns the opposite way, but seems to go at much lower speed that way. How is this possible when I bypass all the electronics? What can I do, and does it matter for controlling the boat?

Best regards
Thomas
generally there are 2 speeds in a wiper motor. So depending which 2 wires of 3, it goes either fast or slow or really fast. The really fast option is not usually viable as it would damage the motor

As for turning different speeds in different directions, it is not normal and I have never heard of it. Sometimes the speed difference may be slight or the sound slightly different with direction, but usually not significant speed difference. I am not sure the exact cause, but maybe the motor itself is biased for one direction or the other. I would measure the current in both directions and play with the different windings. It would be interesting to see a video, however if the speed difference in direction is significant your best option may be to find a different motor.