This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Polar diagram record from boat's data
My RPi4 run openPlotter and OpenCPN which is connected to the instruments, AIS etc via 
Raymarine NG/NMEA2000/CANbus network. I use an optically isolated CANable module which 
works great with SignalK. I get all available parameters into SignalK which can be 
displayed on the instrument panel web application or a subset on the OpenCPN dashboard. 
So far it works like expected. So far so good. Next step is trickier.

I tried to obtain Polar diagram with the OpenCPN plugin by using NMEA messages from the 
SignalK to NMEA183 plugin. While I see a lot of NMEA183 messges in the NMEA debug window on OpenCPN 
The NMEA sentences that are available as NMEA data are nicely recorded by the OpenCPN VDR plugin. 

From the OpenCPN NMEA183 log window I get the $GPRMC and $GPGGA (GPS data, should give 
speed o. ground SOG) and $IIMWV, $IIVWR (wind data). Speed should be calculated from GPS, 
$VHW is missing. 

Is there any simple solution to this ? Getting the SignalK to NMEA183 to generate sentences with 
boat speed (water/ground), wind (speed and angle).Or any other far simpler solution which I have not 
yet spotted  Dodgy.

Regards,
Ole