This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
My favourite app...
Smile 
More a signalk thread than openplotter but seems OK to post here, only a bit of fun.
App of the month award! And this weeks winner is......
sail_logger!  Cool
https://github.com/itemir/signalk-saillogger

All you need to do, go on the website & get an ID, https://saillogger.com/, install the app and put in the ID. That's it, then go sailing, next time your Pi is online it uploads the data and you see where you've been when.  So simple. This is a little kayak trip yesterday with a Pi on a battery with a USBGPS. 

[Image: hcDW114.jpg]

Top 3 of best apps ever this week would be KIP, influxdb writer & sail logger . What's yours?
Cool! I'm going to check this out. I've been using AIS/Marine Traffic and/or Squidd.io, other, etc. but this has some real promise. I'll definitely look into it. Thanks for the tip!

I have to throw my vote at Wilhelm. It's definitely one of my favs that integrates well into SignalK. Since I began using it, I've been on a quest to provide as much data as possible to SK. Solar charger integration was the last thing for monitoring. Engine monitoring is coming soon.
Looks the goods!!

Any idea how to fill in the Main GPS source & the Main Battery key fields??
Think gps source is only needed if signalk is getting gps data from more than one source, copy the one you want to use from the data browser. Similar for battery, if the battery you want to monitor is electrical.batteries.house.voltage then put in "house", capacity is from electrical.batteries.house.capacity.stateOfCharge .
Hey folks, builder of Saillogger here, jumping in to answer the question about GPS sources. And Paddy, thanks for the referral, appreciate it!

Main GPS source is optional. You might need it only if you have multiple GPS sources and some of them throw in erroneous positions. If you don't encounter any problems or if you have a single GPS source, just ignore it.

Main Battery key field is needed if you have connected your battery monitor to Signal K. If so, battery status can show up Saillogger monitoring page. Details on how to configure it is covered in question 7 of the FAQ (https://saillogger.com/faq/). If you don't have battery monitoring, just ignore it.

Shoot any more questions you may have!
(2021-06-07, 02:20 AM)Saillogger Wrote: Hey folks, builder of Saillogger here, jumping in to answer the question about GPS sources. And Paddy, thanks for the referral, appreciate it!

Main GPS source is optional. You might need it only if you have multiple GPS sources and some of them throw in erroneous positions. If you don't encounter any problems or if you have a single GPS source, just ignore it.

Main Battery key field is needed if you have connected your battery monitor to Signal K. If so, battery status can show up Saillogger monitoring page. Details on how to configure it is covered in question 7 of the FAQ (https://saillogger.com/faq/). If you don't have battery monitoring, just ignore it.

Shoot any more questions you may have!

Yep, found the answer to my battery query in the FAQ - all working great.

I gave it the first test run this w/end & works great - no problems with GPS's.

Fantastic app - love it. Can't wait to get some more logs etc happening!!

Thank you Smile
(2021-06-07, 02:20 AM)Saillogger Wrote: Shoot any more questions you may have!

One thought, would it be possible to copy the database onto a different machine? Thinking ahead for when I actually get to live in an anchorage again - would be nice to, say, copy the database across to a laptop also running signalk so then you go ashore with the laptop  to get some free wifi at the local happy hour it will upload without having the take the Pi ashore. 

Great app though, been after something like this which does it all automatically for years ?
Me too!

Tested it last night for the first time. Got out of the slip and went all the way to the pump out. Got notified this morning of a new log on my trip across the harbor. Not exciting trip, but this is inspiring me to "get out there."

I love it when stuff "just works"!!!
Hey @Saillogger, i've been using your app, and it's very cool how it works out of the box, and you don't have to remember to start/stop recording  Big Grin

I have a question/feature request though. My problem is that i use the raspberry in the boat, but then i bring it back home with me, so every log is "corrupted" because it adds my home location as the end of the log:

Is there any way to make saillogger ignore certain coordinate range or similar solution? I know it's possible to just go to the log and delete the last trackpoint, but it would be really cool if it wasn't stored at all.
Hey folks, thanks for the feedback. Paddy, it seems I missed your earlier question. Sorry about that.

Both requests are very good and interesting, thank you for those!

One main goal I have with Saillogger is to make it as simple as possible to use and make it "just work". In order to achieve that, I am trying to keep things as single stream as possible. As many of you probably develop software and are aware, one of hard things is to figure out how to make it work for as many people as possible without it becoming confusing and also very importantly, without breaking things in every new release. As combinations of configurations and differing behavior increase, complexity increases exponentially and testing becomes much harder, causing a lot of pain for users (and developers). Since this is a hobby project, and the time I can dedicate is limited, this is also especially important, at least at this stage of the development. So I try to come up with features that that are applicable to most, if not all user base. Admittedly, this is a bit hard to gauge. So, I'd love if you could log your requests at https://github.com/itemir/signalk-saillogger/issues, and vote on the things you'd like implemented. It would be super helpful!

Saillogger started as a hobby project for me, since I wanted an automated system to log our trip (initially on the California coast down to Mexico). Gradually usage has grown, and it is super exciting to see many users joining and many trips being logged every single day.