This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to existing/old nmea0183 systems?
Hi,

I'm trying to setup openplotter with an rpi4 on a '99 boat. The boat already has quite some useful equipment like wind meters, compass, gps, ais etc. It's mainly old B&G Network stuff. I'd like to hook up to these without destroying/opening anything in the process, but can't find the connectors for these devices?

Can anyone tell me what the generic type is of the connectors is on (old) standhard horizon plotters and B&G Network gear? If I look for brand + connector, I get cables of 20-50 euro, which seems way over-priced.

Attached are some pictures of the cables going into the standard horizon plotter.

Thank you! Heart
What's on the other end of those connector cables? Most of those old MFDs came with a connector on one end and bare wire on the other. You should be able to install a terminal strip and connect everything together without cutting anything. Then you have a good place to tie in your RPi serial connector.
The gps is on the other side of the white one.

The B&G network gear is just all connector to connector, except for the autopilot. But that's way in the back. As far as I can tell, would be nice to be able to plug into them. Also one of them might be a bit shady, so having replacements would be nice.

I will do some more cable tracing however. See if I can find some more bare wire bits

Thanks.
Even if you end up having to cut one of them, you'll need a manual or schematic of which wires are which for NMEA0183 TX+/- and RX +/-.
They look similar to the first generation Seatalk 1 connectors, last year I ordered some and matched the ST1 connectors to the ones in the link below:

https://www.mouser.com/new/switchcraft/c...onnectors/

I have the part number at Home for the 3 pin ST1 version, but you would need an 8 socket version