This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
rough prototype of tiller actuator using 50rpm Makermotor
After a lot of false starts with bad IMUs and numerous software gremlins I finally have a reasonably working autopilot. It has steered our F31 Corsair for about 250 miles in nice weather without any misbehaving. I built a rough prototype of the drive mainly to get speed and gearing dialed in before I spend the time to build something nicer. I started off with Sean's idea to use a windshield wiper motor but quickly ran into the problem of attaching a pulley to the non-standard shaped output shaft. Ended up using a 50 rpm Makermotor PN01007-38 gear motor with a standard 3/8" shaft. The video shows details of how this super simple, parts bin drive works. 

Simon
I really like this! The motor looks almost the same as windshield wiper motor, is just the output shaft different? Could you not modify a wiper motor to work?
(2021-06-11, 01:28 AM)seandepagnier Wrote: I really like this!   The motor looks almost the same as windshield wiper motor, is just the output shaft different?   Could you not modify a wiper motor to work?

I think it is the same as a windshield wiper motor. I’m sure a wiper motor can be made to work but it’s so much easier to deal with a 3/8” shaft and a set screw since that fits all sorts of off the shelf pulleys.
Has anyone found a wormless geared motor that would allow you to steer without disengaging the motor.
The power of a motor of this type would do without the endless screw. The Octopus RS sailboat drive has no clutch and a smaller motor. It can always stay engaged.

It wouldn't bother me at all that the helm of the boat was braked a bit.
I have not found such a motor. The main reason I’m building my own actuator is that the ultimate goal is to have exactly what you describe. A tiller actuator which works like a wheel pilot in that you can engage and disengage without physically disconnecting from the tiller. The problem with any actuator that you can “back drive” while powered off is that sailing loads will also be able to back drive it. It will use power just holding the tiller in place. However it’s accomplished, the actuator will need some sort of clutch. I’m exploring a couple designs that would do that with a mechanical clutch that does not use any power in either the engaged or disengaged position. None of this is hard to design and build with a big budget but I’m going for cheap and simple. 

Simon