This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ICM-20948 (QWIIC) setup or standard i2c
(2021-06-16, 09:19 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: you must already be running pypilot

perhaps the two processes conflict?

what does "ps aux | grep python" show you?

pi@openplotter:~ $ ps aux | grep python
pi         358  1.3  1.6  24580 15664 ?        Ss   15:12   0:02 /usr/bin/python3 /usr/bin/openplotter-pypilot-read
pi         435  1.4  1.6  33004 15592 ?        Ss   15:12   0:02 /usr/bin/python3 /usr/bin/openplotter-i2c-read
pi         934  0.9  2.9  46340 27612 ?        S    15:12   0:01 /usr/bin/python3 /usr/share/system-config-printer/applet.py
pi        1399 53.7  2.6 122408 25024 ?        Ss   15:15   0:02 /usr/bin/python3 /usr/local/bin/pypilot_boatimu -q
pi        1403  0.6  1.9 122408 18272 ?        S    15:15   0:00 /usr/bin/python3 /usr/local/bin/pypilot_boatimu -q
pi        1404  0.0  2.0 122540 19236 ?        S    15:15   0:00 /usr/bin/python3 /usr/local/bin/pypilot_boatimu -q
pi        1406  0.3  1.9 122408 18168 ?        S    15:15   0:00 /usr/bin/python3 /usr/local/bin/pypilot_boatimu -q
pi        1413  0.0  0.0   7348   580 pts/0    S+   15:15   0:00 grep --color=auto python
yes, so it is already running as a service

yesterday I rewrote most of the openplotter-pypilot plugin so there were a lot of issues before now fixed in git, I'm hoping to get a revision soon.

If you disable boatimu:

sudo service stop pypilot_boatimu

Then run pypilot_boatimu and see the output, or check journalctl for boatimu output. You cannot run 2 instances at the same time with a single imu sensor and 2 imu sensors and 2 instances is not supported.
(2021-06-17, 01:27 AM)seandepagnier Wrote: yes, so it is already running as a service

yesterday I rewrote most of the openplotter-pypilot plugin so there were a lot of issues before now fixed in git, I'm hoping to get a revision soon.

If you disable boatimu:

sudo service stop pypilot_boatimu

Then run pypilot_boatimu and see the output, or check journalctl for boatimu output.   You cannot run 2 instances at the same time with a single imu sensor and 2 imu sensors and 2 instances is not supported.

Hi Sean sorry for the delay after stopping the service and  running pypilot_boatimu I get the following:

pi@openplotter:~ $ pypilot_boatimu
imu process 3849
pypilotServer process 3851
server setup has 3 pipes
made imu process realtime
Using settings file RTIMULib.ini
Settings file RTIMULib.ini loaded
Failed to open SPI bus 0, select 0
No IMU detected
Using fusion algorithm Kalman STATE4
ERROR: No IMU Detected 8937.950312626
imu rate set to rate 20
setting initial gyro bias [0.0, 0.0, 0.0]
It's a bit strange, but did you install RTIMULib2 for python? From RTIMULib2/Linux/python run "sudo python3 setup.py install"
(2021-06-22, 02:00 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: It's a bit strange, but did you install RTIMULib2 for python?   From RTIMULib2/Linux/python run "sudo python3 setup.py install"

Hi Sean

I know the post is a bit old but it ended fairly abruptly.  I had one of these IMUs, and went through your guide and through the config script for the new RTMULib2.  Pretty clear - thanks!

I can report that the Invensense ICM020948 is discovered in pypilot.

It doesn't seem to calibrate in Pypilot - was that expected or does it need a new build?
Correction to detail - it worked fine - thanks - its much better than my earlier GY-91 which didnt have baro working.... (least bad out of 5 tried!)

I had a poor connection on the IMU - I was intermittently loosing power to it.

I had been waving the imu round to calibrate, and must have worked it loose!
Finbar
(2022-01-16, 01:14 AM)Finbar J Wrote: Correction to detail - it worked fine - thanks - its much better than my earlier GY-91 which didnt have baro working.... (least bad out of 5 tried!)

I had a poor connection on the IMU - I was intermittently loosing power to it.  

I had been waving the imu round to calibrate, and must have worked it loose!
Finbar

hello everyone,

i am joining this thread because it fits well thematically i think.

While trying to get an ICM-20948 to run on my Pypilot, I ran into the following problem:

On a Raspi Zero Tinypilot runs with the image tinypilot_2020_10_27.img.xz
With this version the ICM-20948 is not recognized, but this is well known.

I have successfully installed the RTIMULib2 library as suggested here: https://forum.openmarine.net/showthread....=RTIMULib2

After that I did an update of Pypilot as suggested in Git by Sean/ Ironman:

cd
mkdir pypilot-update
cd pypilot-update/
git clone git://github.com/pypilot/pypilot
git clone git://github.com/pypilot/pypilot_data
cp -rv pypilot_data/* pypilot
cd pypilot
sudo python3 setup.py install
sudo reboot

This all works fine so far.

The problem: The ICM-20948 is recognized and can be calibrated. But after about 3-4min the ICM-20948 apparently quits. The IMU is no longer recognized. Only after a reboot the game runs from the beginning.
Two other IMUs (BNO055, LSM6DS33+LIS3MDL) are working without problems with the same hardware and setting.

On a Raspberry4 with Pypilot and Openplotter the same IMU runs without problems and without any failures. So it does not seem to be the sensor itself.

Does anyone have an explanation for this behavior and maybe even a solution?

what I had almost forgotten:
on board of my boat already runs a Pypilot with a MPU9250, but its compass can not be calibrated well. That's the reason why I'm experimenting with more IMUs. And I am very enthusiastic about the control behavior and the low power consumption of the Pypilot. This enthusiasm I also have for the great workbook from ironman.....
I myself am part of the German Open-Boat-Project in the sailing forum (segeln-forum.de) and have a very high appreciation for all the maritime DIY projects like Pypilot, Openplotter, SignalK and all the other...

michael

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Did you try a more recent tinypilot image:
https://pypilot.org/images

Why can't the compass in the mpu9255 be calibrated? The sensors are essentially the same quality, just the mpu9255 is not in production and so it's difficult to obtain quality parts.
(2022-01-22, 07:00 AM)seandepagnier Wrote: Did you try a more recent tinypilot image:

Why can't the compass in the mpu9255 be calibrated?   The sensors are essentially the same quality, just the mpu9255 is not in production and so it's difficult to obtain quality parts.

Hi Sean,
thanks for your support! my IMU is now running and can be calibrated.
Apparently it was mainly due to a bad cable connection to the Raspberry.
I have now installed the image from November 2021, which also runs very well. However, the web interface now speaks German in a funny translation.
Switching the browser to English does not change the language of the web interface....
If it's helpful, I'd be happy to send you a PDF with German terms that fit better in the web interface and submenus. 
Just let me know....

Calibrating the MPU9250 on the desk at home was no problem. On board, however, the compass keeps drifting and needs to be readjusted. I bought a total of 5 MPU9250s. 2 were defective from the beginning, one I destroyed, 1 could hardly be calibrated even at home, the last one then went on board. It was obviously not easy to get good MPU9250. And now I hope that the ICM-20948 I've obtained has a better quality.

Many greetings
Moeritsen

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
(2022-01-22, 07:15 PM)Moeritsen Wrote:
(2022-01-22, 07:00 AM)seandepagnier Wrote: Did you try a more recent tinypilot image:

Why can't the compass in the mpu9255 be calibrated?   The sensors are essentially the same quality, just the mpu9255 is not in production and so it's difficult to obtain quality parts.

Hi Sean,
thanks for your support! my IMU is now running and can be calibrated.
Apparently it was mainly due to a bad cable connection to the Raspberry.
I have now installed the image from November 2021, which also runs very well. However, the web interface now speaks German in a funny translation.
Switching the browser to English does not change the language of the web interface....
If it's helpful, I'd be happy to send you a PDF with German terms that fit better in the web interface and submenus. 
Just let me know....

Calibrating the MPU9250 on the desk at home was no problem. On board, however, the compass keeps drifting and needs to be readjusted. I bought a total of 5 MPU9250s. 2 were defective from the beginning, one I destroyed, 1 could hardly be calibrated even at home, the last one then went on board. It was obviously not easy to get good MPU9250. And now I hope that the ICM-20948 I've obtained has a better quality.

Many greetings
Moeritsen

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
It should use whatever language the browser uses.   You may have to clear the browser cache though.

The translations are automatic but I did recently have some german contributions, see:
https://github.com/pypilot/pypilot/blob/...essages.po

It maybe already better but if you see any terms there that should be changed, open a github issue or make a pull request, or email me and I will improve the translation.

The icm20948 seem to have better quality but I did receive some bad ones.   Now the price has doubled (again) though, so the price is 4 times from a year ago.