This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rudder position sensor+\-
Does anyone know if the rudder is set to turn to port should the rudder position sensor be reading + or -  ?
The sign should be handled by rudder calibration... Is this in the opencpn dashboard display?
Yes and in the pypilot plug-in rudder calibration screen
It shows negative when I turn to starboard and positive when I turn to port. Seems to be opposite of what it should be?
positive is port for nmea output sentence

hmm.. it may be that pypilot is treating rudder angle with the opposite sign of convention.

I haven't worked on this bit for a while, and surprised no one brought it up. I would treat positive as port for now, but in a future version i may switch it, but this will only affect nmea and signalk output and communication. Everything should work ok assuming port is positive.

Thanks for the feedback.
I just finished installing and calibrating my rudder position sensor and noticed the same thing. If I treat Port as + and Stbd as -, the rudder movement commands are correct, and the center command finds center, but the rudder display shows Port and Stbd rudder directions as swapped.
Thanks for reporting this. For this version, just please swap the display in your head.. and expect pypilot future version to correct this. I will do a lot of testing before releasing a version and hopefully fix this in the next one.