This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OP Starter - Download Issues
Quick update. I'm up and running...ish. Turns out it was a duff screen somehow shorting out and shutting down the pi and corrupting the SD. After stripping everything off and starting the download etc from scratch every thing is fine.... I assume because until I get a new screen I don't know what is going on.

Thank you guys for your patience, help and suggestions
(2021-10-16, 01:36 PM)bosun Wrote: Quick update. I'm up and running...ish. Turns out it was a duff screen somehow shorting out and shutting down the pi and corrupting the SD. After stripping everything off and starting the download etc from scratch every thing is fine.... I assume because until I get a new screen I don't know what is going on.

Thank you guys for your patience, help and suggestions

Cool
You should be able to get in, does it show an "openplotter" network after booting up? If so then on another device try logging onto the openplotter network, password 12345678 then in a web browser try address  10.10.101:3000
Gets you in to signalk if it works.
Ah! seems not out of the woods yet. 
No Wifi. 
I assumed I would have to set up Wifi once I got going
I'm trying to check out if the duff screen has damaged the pi. It is a small screen which plugs directly on the the first half of the pins.
There is no obvious damage so am checking the pins as best I can (I have limited tools, both mental and physical)
Any suggestions as what else I can try?
(2021-10-17, 10:29 AM)bosun Wrote: Ah! seems not out of the woods yet. 
No Wifi. 
I assumed I would have to set up Wifi once I got going
I'm trying to check out if the duff screen has damaged the pi. It is a small screen which plugs directly on the the first half of the pins.
There is no obvious damage so am checking the pins as best I can (I have limited tools, both mental and physical)
Any suggestions as what else I can try?

If you have a network then follow these steps to get the Pi to connect, then you can use realvnc to view the desktop and go from there >>
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ras...,6028.html

Briefly, put the sd card back in your laptop and create a file in /boot called wpa_supplicant.conf
with this > 

Code:
country=US # Your 2-digit country code
ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
network={
   ssid="YOUR_NETWORK_NAME"
   psk="YOUR_PASSWORD"
   key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
}
though mine actually looks like this >
Code:
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ cat /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1

network={
       ssid="****"
       psk="****"
       key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
}

Then reboot and the Pi should log on. 

Or use the headless image.
Thanks Ben
On double checking everything I realised I had loaded the wrong SD. 

In all the chaos of downloading, writing and rewriting I realised there was the possibility I had loaded 'starter' or even CPN.

Rewrote headless and there it was. Just at the same time you posted your reply. Many thanks, 

I owe you a beer. just pop over.
(2021-10-17, 12:07 PM)PaddyB Wrote: Then reboot and the Pi should log on. 

Or use the headless image.

I'm using 'headless.' In my foolishness I thought because I had 'openplotter' up on available networks my troubles were over.

I can get onto that network but cannot communicate with it.

I have downloaded RealVNC and entered  10.10.10.1  openplotter.local  but get 'Timed out waiting for response from the computer'

I have also downloaded PuTTy and imputed pi@openplotter.local  But get 'Network error. Software caused connection abort'

All the vids I have watched seem to show the whole thing being very straight forward. Plug it in, fire it up, done. Either they are missing out something really important or I am really dumb.

I noted your suggestions, I'm really new to this and can't figure out how to write to boot from my laptop.
Are you connected to the openplotter wifi network? Should be there, called "openplotter" with password "openplotter"
When logged on try connecting to web site 10.10.10.1:3000
Should be signalk.
(2021-10-22, 07:13 PM)PaddyB Wrote: Are you connected to the openplotter wifi network? Should be there, called "openplotter" with password "openplotter"
When logged on try connecting to web site 10.10.10.1:3000
Should be signalk.

I go to the task bar and click on available networks. I get livebox which is my normal windows Wifi and openplotter.
I click livebox and disconnect. then openplotter connects automatically. I then have this: There is no new screen and no request for password. I can't find any way to get off my windows desktop to openplotter.

Attached Files Image(s)