This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you actually sail with OpenPlotter?
@wellenvogel
Awesome, I didn't quite understood the usage of overlays indeed. Thanks for the support too; i'm re-reading the docs and finding out new stuff, playing with overlays, etc Smile

@PaddyB
Thanks for your input too! Definetly agree on planning bneforehand, that part I already do, and will certainly improve after this chat with you guys. For this august's 3-week trip, I'll take my laptop with OpenCPN for the planning. Now that I found out about the export functions and the import ones in AvNav, should be little to no problem to get everything working together.

While on cockpit, I already built a support for the tablet under the sprayhood, but I think i'd rather use AvNav/KIP display during the navigation. Those are apps designed to use with your fingers, unlike OpenCPN.

InfluxDB+Grafana are definetly a powerful combo; I also have full battery monitoring, temperature+pressure, and basically any other input that I can care about it's evolution.

---

So far it's quite clear to me that what I need to do is to sail more, try different configurations, and see what works best for me in different situations. But it's very interesting to read your inputs.

Before august though, I will work in a software to synchronize information between OpenCPN and AvNav. Should be reasonable easy to listen for changes in OpenCPN's navobj.xml and AvNav's route/track/overalay folders and automatically convert the format and send to a specific folder/computer in the network.

Messages In This Thread
RE: How do you actually sail with OpenPlotter? - by MigGat - 2021-07-04, 10:30 AM